playboy club 09-19-11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by CatScratchFever, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this, as did my wife as well. Bunnies, mobsters, corrupt politicians and the Chicago backdrop, what's not to like?

2. rloper

rloper Is there an answer?

Mar 25, 2002
    Texas
    I enjoyed this as well. An interesting, if soapy, period piece. Of course I'll watch anything with Amber Heard in it.

Saying that, I'm not sure I buy Maureen's ability to be the scared new girl one second and suddenly be able to vamp out a mobster the next. Here's hoping all the characters get more depth to them as the story progresses.

3. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I hated it. Cliches right from the start. I couldn't stand the lead actor doing nothing more than a Don Draper impression. "Hef's" narration was awkward and stilted. The endless soundtrack in the club was distracting and wasted a lot of time.

Amber Heard really is not enough reason to watch this crap.

4. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    It got terrible ratings, too. I have it TiVoed, but I may well wait a few weeks before I watch.

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I didn't have high expectations, but the first episode exceeded them. They could do some interesting things with period events in the early 60s, using the club as the center point. The Mad Men comparisons always come out, but while that show is not just about advertising, I don't see this one being just about the club.
    Chicago mob, Chicago politics, public housing, gay rights, and race issues could be fodder for many episodes. NY has been done so many times, even similar themes with a Chicago tone could be new.

It might bomb, but I think I see some potential there.

6. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    I haven't seen yet but just curious was KSL in Salt Lake the only station that was against airing it or did any of the other NBC stations join in and not air it?

7. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Overall I enjoyed the show. It did bother me in the beginning that the Bunnies seemed out of control. Evidently the strict Bunny rules took a while to develop because in the clubs I visited touching a Bunny would get you quickly ejected from the club. ;)

8. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Then again you're not a mob henchman either ;)

9. Jon J

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    At least not in the '60s and '70s. ;)

10. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Didn't exactly grab me. But I will keep watching to see if it grows on me. Maureen sure is one hot bunny.

11. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    We watched it but didn't really get involved in it. The lead actor -- and even the guy running the club -- look (and in the former's case, sound!) too much like "Mad Men" actors; it all seemed so contrived, with virtually no drama that I could find. Even the "rousing" musical numbers just seemed to fall flat for me.

And then there's the editing: there was a two-shot in a limo in the last 15 minutes of the show that had the most jarring and purposeless cuts from one actor to the other. (The fact that I even noticed the editing is not a good sign.) It made me think they must have had a terrible time shooting that, because they apparently had to cut around a lot of bad material.

So. . . we can say we saw it, but we're not going to bother watching again.

Bob

12. Jon J

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    You can't do a factual period show like this or Mad Men and avoid that look. That's just the way it was.

13. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I liked the show. I had low expectations for it and was surprised. I will keep watching for now. But, I admit, I'm not jazzed about it, I just like it.

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1 - me too.

15. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Not overly impressed.

They did not do a great job of recreating the period, IMO. But I guess Mad Men spoiled me when it comes to amazing set, costume, hair and make-up recreation.

The stories seem pretty cliched. I am keeping the SP for now, but it needs to get better to hold my interest...

16. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Same for me. The club manager is the neighbor from Doogie Howser, right?

17. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    No.

David Krumholtz

You're thinking about Max Casella.

--Carlos V.

18. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    The math genius from Numb3rs.

19. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Yeah, I knew I recognized him from somewhere, but in my case, it was as an elph. (In the Santa Clause movies).

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Krumholtz is from Numbers.

Max Casella (he was Doogie's best friend, was he also his neighbor?) was also a bit player on some episodes of "The Sopranos".

As for this show -- I cancelled my SP for it. So far, I don't think I've "picked up" any new shows, but I guess I've actually only tried a few so far (I have some more recorded that I haven't watched yet). Wasn't horrible, and I could eventually see watching it again, but I don't think it'll last that long. It was just "blah".