PlaybackPassword+ v0.1a

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ZildjianB, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ZildjianB

ZildjianB HD+TiVo = DVR Heaven

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    EDIT: PlaybackPassword+ v0.1b has been released and is now available for download:

Official PlaybackPassword+ Host List

OR click here to download it directly from our exclusive volunteer host: AnotherWin95.

=====================================================

I have a small (beta) program for Windows 2000/XP users that I would like to share with the community. Its release will be dependant on the following conditions:

(1) TiVo must not object to its free public distribution for personal, non-commercial use (of course).

(2) Someone must be able to provide a reliable host for the file so those who wish to try it can download it. The file size for v0.1a is 156 KB.

The program is called PlaybackPassword+. It does not attempt to subvert TiVo's protected content. All TiVoToGo content is still protected by a Media Access Key (MAK) and Playback Password. This program simply automates the process of entering your Playback Password.

PlaybackPassword+ is meant as a minor 'improvement' to TiVo Desktop 2.0--nothing more, nothing less.

PlaybackPassword+ is downloaded in the form of a small self-extracting installation file. Once installed, users can remove the program at any time via a typical Windows uninstall process. After installation, all the user has to do is set their Playback Password to '12345'. Then, all you need to do to open a .TiVo file is double-click!

Again, like I said above, I will not release this file if TiVo objects to its free public distribution, so please do not PM me asking for a copy. I do not want to be sued any more than the rest of you.

Also, keep in mind that the program is still under development. If released, I'd appreciate suggestions and bug reports from anyone who gives it a try.

See below for a couple screen shots.

2. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    The original Playback Password screen. First read it, then enter your password, then press 'OK'-

Attached Files:

3. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    EDIT: This screen was eliminated in v0.1b. In v0.1b your Playback Password is automatically submitted as soon as you open a .TiVo file.

The PlaybackPassword+ screen. This replaces the screen shown above. Your Playback Password (12345) is saved. Just press 'OK' or hit 'Enter' to continue.

Attached Files:

4. AnotherWin95

AnotherWin95 Registered TiVo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Jacksonville...
    I could consider hosting the file if all is approved. PM me if you need more info.

5. mpauley

mpauley Im That Guy!

Mar 19, 2002
    I did the same thing using Resoucre Hacker... except as soon as the pop up loads, the ok command is sent and the .tivo files just start to play.

6. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    mpauley, I had a feeling I wasn't the only one to start playing around with it. What command did you use to send the OK command automatically? This was my first time playing around with RH and was definitely a learning experience.

7. samkuhn

samkuhn New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm also curious about sending the "OK" or buttonpress code. I haven't seen this trick before with resource hacker.

8. phreekk

phreekk New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Neptune
    Well it took me a while to find out where to put in the password. So for those that don't know, here's what you do:

Once you download Resource Hacker (google to find it) you need to open TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll (search your pc to find it) and then in the Dialog / MEDIAPASSWORD / DIALOG / 1033 you can add your password to the line below (where i have the word password):

CONTROL "password", 10, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 88, 76, 112, 10

I figured out how to get the keypress to go, but it then claims my password is wrong. If you change the first 10 (which is an ID for the control) to 1 (you may or may not have to change the ID on the next control for the OK button to 10, i tried both ways.) If someone completely figures this out let me know and post the answer here for others.

Note to mpauley: what's the point in posting that you did it, without any help to others as to how you did it; this is a forum for discussing things, not for boasting how special you are.

9. phreekk

phreekk New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Neptune
  10. phreekk

phreekk New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Neptune
    It's amazing how when you stop doing something you immediately think of the answer.

Replace any of the text lines with:
    CONTROL "o", 1, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 88, 76, 112, 10

Since the "o" key acitvates the OK button and the 1 represents the first action it will submit the password.

Now you don't need to have to enter it in every time you want to watch a show!

11. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    I can't get the keypress to work...

Following your directions (thanks a load for by the way ++), I can get the password enter to work, but when I add the line you just posted, or change any one of the lines to it, all it does it change the entered password to "o" instead of giving me the keypress.

I tinkered with it for a while, but figured I better just post what i got and get some help.

I have the password entering now, so I'm better off than I was. ;) Thanks.

12. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    OvrrDrive, Make sure you keep the original CONTROL "<password>" line of code. Then, insert the CONTOL "o" line between it and the 'OK button' code. That should work for you.

phreekk, thanks for the tip buddy. I had just about given up on the 'OK' button problem.

For anyone who is interested in this feature and does not feel comfortable making edits to their resource files similar to what phreekk described above (which is very close to what I did), I am going to post my install/uninstall file for distribution as soon as I get it to a host. Since this thread has been around for 10 days and I have not heard anything from TiVo or the mods here, I'm guessing that this shouldn't be a problem. If it is, let me know and I will not distribute the file.

13. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    It still won't hit the button for me...

It starts up and the cursor is in the right numbered position, but there is only one star in the password field and the ok button won't depress...

The way the command line is worded, it is a word for word copy of the enter password command, with the exception of the 10 now being a 1. All it does is change the password to o.

By the way, I can host the file for you. Email it to me at ovrrdrive@onebox.com

14. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Here's the link for the file for those interested.

15. 56Effie

56Effie New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Try:
    CONTROL "YourPassword", 10, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_DISABLED | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 74, 7, 112, 12
    CONTROL "o", 1, EDIT, ES_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 0, 0, 0, 0

Craig

16. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Whatever you have different in that worked like a charm...

I didn't go over it yet, I just copy/pasted it and it is working.

Thanks! :D

17. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    PlaybackPassword+ Official Host List

AnotherWin95 is currently our exclusive volunteer host for PlaybackPassword+. Anoyone who is interested in using it can download it here:

AnotherWin95

Note: If you'd like to be added to the list of official hosts, PM me.

18. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    PLAYBACKPASSWORD+ README (v0.1b) ~Brought to you by Geddon~
    ========================

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: YOU MUST SET YOUR PLAYBACK PASSWORD TO '12345' (no quotes) in order for PlaybackPassword+ to function properly. SEE INSTALLATION STEP 2.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: If you reinstall or update TiVo Desktop 2.0 and wish to keep using PlaybackPassword+, you will also need to reinstall PlaybackPassword+.

THERE IS NO GUARENTEE THAT PLAYBACKPASSWORD+ WILL WORK WITH CURRENT OR FUTURE VERSIONS OF TIVO DESKTOP!!!

DESCRIPTION
    ===========

Sick of being prompted for your Playback Password every time you want to watch a .TiVo
    file?

PlaybackPassword+ replaces the default TiVo Desktop 2.0 Playback Password screen with one
    that automatically submits your Playback Password. This allows you to open a .TiVo file in
    the same manner as any other file--by simply double-clicking it. In order for this program
    to function properly, YOU MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING INSTALLATION INSTUCTIONS!!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    =========================

STEP 1 -- Install PlaybackPassword+ (skip this step if installation is already complete)
    -----------------------------------

(1) Double-click the PlaybackPassword+ Self-Extracting Installation File.

(2) Follow the on-screen prompts to complete installation.

NOTE: PlaybackPassword+ can only be installed AFTER TiVoDesktop has been installed. If you
    reinstall TiVo Desktop 2.0 and want PlaybackPassword+ to continue functioning, you
    will need to reinstall PlaybackPassword+.

STEP 2 -- Set your Playback Password to '12345' !!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------

(1) Open TiVo Desktop 2.0.

(2) Select 'File-->Set Playback Password' from the menu bar.

(3) Using your Media Access Key (MAK), change your Playback Password to '12345' (no quotes).

(4) Press 'OK'.

STEP 3 -- Open a .TiVo File
    ---------------------------

(1) Test your setup & installation of PlaybackPassword+ by playing a .TiVo file from TiVo
    Desktop 2.0.

That's it! No more typing your Playback Password every time you want to watch your videos.
    Your .TiVo videos should now play as soon as you double-click them!

UNINSTALLING
    ============

Simply run Start-->Program Files-->PlaybackPassword+-->Uninstall

This will remove PlaybackPassword+ and restore the original Playback Password screen.

If, for some reason, your original Playback Password screen is not restored after
    PlaybackPassword+ is uninstalled, reinstall TiVo Desktop 2.0.

SPECIAL THANKS
    ==============

phreekk -- for discovering the "Auto-OK/Submittal" code for the dialog box.

TiVo and TiVo Desktop are trademarks of TiVo Inc.

EDITED FOR LAYOUT

19. ZildjianB

Oct 11, 2003
    Land of the...
    That is the code from PlaybackPassword+. You probably just had a minor typo before that was causing your problems (maybe a '1' instead of a '10' in the password edit control?.

20. 56Effie

56Effie New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Is there anyway to have Playbackpassword+ prompt on install for your password and have it paste that in instead of 12345? That way you can go on using your normal Tivo playback password.

Craig