Play Web Video on HR10-250

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by gnieboer, Jun 4, 2007.

1. gnieboer

gnieboer New Member

Jun 4, 2007

Advertisements

Have used an (unhacked) HR10-250 for 2 years now, and love it. However, I'm moving to Japan, where there is no DirecTV, but I can get get a 100MBps fibre optic internet connection for $80/month.

SO, I'm thinking about setting up a server to download my favorite US shows via BitTorrent, and using a batch conversion process to change them to whatever format I need to. (already know how to do this part, I can even convert them into .tivo files if required)

WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is crucial in this endevour, so I figure I've already got an interface we both love, stable software, and hardware that can support HD playpack. (That's the only reason I haven't hacked it already)

SO, in a perfect world, I'd like my media library to simply be listed in the "Now Playing" section of the Tivo, just like it currently is. Click it, the NAS server streams it to the TiVo. (or alternatively, files get downloaded to the TiVo every night)

This is kind of the opposite of what most people want to do (play Tivo files on their PC), but it sure would be great.

Tivo Desktop 2.4 has a music/picture feature, and looks like video is coming, but it's not available for DTV, so have to hack it. I've browsed the forums, but haven't found anything definitive.

Do any of the TiVo hack packages include a capability like this? If more than one, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    For an HR10-250, you would need to hack the box to enable the HME option (I'm not sure if the "Zipper" enables this by default), and then run MovieLoader on your server (after using your batch conversion to create .ty files).

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Frankly, I'd look into something non-Tivo altogether.

4. gnieboer

gnieboer New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    MovieLoader, thanks, I'll do some research on that.

I -could- go buy another box entirely, but the media boxes out there that can handle HD are new to the market, and still kinda pricey. The 10Hr-250 works well, has a good sized HD, is mod-able, and is already paid for. Otherwise it's going to sit in storage doing nothing for 2 years.

Thanks again...

5. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

Frankly, I would agree. There's got to be a better way of doing it.

Would there would also be the issue of getting the "searching for satellite" banner on the screen constantly when using the HR10-250? Or does that not show up at all if you are just watching recordings from the Now Playing List?

6. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    The searching for satellite nag wouldn't be a problem for recordings. The only ones affecting recordings are the "insert access card" nags.

7. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Moreover, there's a patch to suppress the IYAC/IVAC messages...