Play back a show recorded on Roamio without using stream

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fred-vo, Feb 20, 2016.

1. fred-vo

fred-vo Fred-vo

Jan 30, 2004
    Ohio

Advertisements

Instead of always watching my earlier-recorded shows on my TV, I would sometimes prefer to display an earlier-recorded show onto an iPad.

I understand that TiVo makes hardware and software to accomplish displaying a recorded show onto an iPad (or iPhone). The hardware is built-in to certain newer models of TiVo.

TiVo also sells a standalone device (called the TiVo Stream) that contains this hardware. But it only works with a few other models of TiVo. In either case above, this "Stream" hardware connects to a free TiVo app that is available at Apple's app store.

BUT, what if you do not have one of those newer TiVo models?

Is there third-party hardware and software that can do the job?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Slingbox. Especially now that SkipMode is enabled on Roamios the combination of SkipMode + Slingbox for out of home viewing is awesome. Also doesn't have any restrictions for copy protected content like the Stream does, and Slingbox works much more reliably out of home.
    (Of course Slingbox works for in home viewing as well).

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    kmttg has a web server option which lets you stream to many browsers. Its free and doesn't require any new hardware.

I'm sure slingbox works great. I don't know why Kevin didn't mention his own, excellent, program. Maybe webserver is on the way out?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can stream from Tivo -to-Tivo without the Stream. It has to be a Premiere, Roamio, or Bolt.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

The OP wants to view his programs on his iPad. This helps him how?

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You haven't given any info about which Tivo you have. AFAIK, since the series 2, you could download to computer.. (I only had series 1, then series 3+)

So you can do what I do (...along with using the iOS app if/when it works...)..
    1) download shows to computer with kmttg
    2) use iTunes to put them on the iPad to view with _SOME PROGRAM_
    I mean with NO conversion at all. If you do conversion, then you can get beyond the audio issue I mention but it'll take longer too.

I'm being vague, since if you do no conversion, you will need a program that will play dolby digital recordings. Older versions of VLC will do that, but they had to take it out due to a rights complaint. (I still have the old version on my iPad).

There is at least one other program that will let you pay to get Dolby Digital support, but I don't remember what it is. (BTW, apparently Dolby won't license the rights to VLC at all, so they can't do a paid version even if they wanted to.)

I should figure out what that other app is at some point, since I'd like to pay for useful software.. (But hopefully the iOS app eventually will work for me reliably to download shows.)

I also use VLC to play shows at 2x.. e.g. I end up watching 5-6 episodes of "At Midnight" lately while walking on the treadmill at the gym every day.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Slingbox. I have one connected to one of my TiVo's. The Sling tech manages to provide the best PQ even with very little bandwidth while other streamers, even TiVo's Stream, look very bad when there is little bandwidth.

If you use the component (three video cables for HD) connection, there should be no restrictions on what you can Sling, as there are restrictions with the TiVo Stream. Using the HDMI connection can impose some restrictions, so don't bother with that. If you have S2 or older, than use the composite (yellow colored connection) for SD, and you are good to go.

The one thing the TiVo Stream does that gives it some value is that it can transfer recordings to your mobile device for playback when you don't have access to the internet. That part of it works well enough, although not quite as well as it should, but I still enjoy it.