1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLAY ALL is gone. Hydra is garbage.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Moood, May 12, 2018.

1. Moood

Moood New Member

May 12, 2018
    This is my first ever post on this forum. It has helped me a great deal over the years, so thank you.

For all of you that download the new TiVo Hydra UI and regret it... for any reason. Let them know! For over a decade our nightly routine is to “play all” on our favorite shows and listen to them as we slumber. Whether it’s King or the Hill, Bob’s Burgers or Raising Hope, we need this to fall asleep. But TiVo ripped this feature from our sleep deprived hands without our permission. I feel violated...
    If I wanted a piece of trash DVR cable box, I can get one of those for free. Now I get to pay TiVo $15+tax for their crap service... Yay! What a joy! To add insult to injury, you can’t revert to the old menu? Oh, you can, but you’ll lose all of your recordings... what the hell are they thinking?
    TiVo you’ve been pissing of your customers for years and I’ve always defended you. No more. This is my red line, you went too far. I’m sitting in the dark, rage posting this message because my shows won’t “play all”, therefore I can’t sleep!
    I am calling on anyone out there who has a gripe with TiVo, whether it’s the new Hydra UI, the old UI, it doesn’t matter how big or small. Let them have it! I don’t care if it’s related to my issue or not (feel free to mention my issue while you’re at it). My mission is to inact change, TiVo will correct their mistake.
    Here is the link:
    Contact Us

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This is well known. Why did you upgrade? If this so meaningful, downgrade back to the old UI (after researching how and its impacts).

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    IMO Hydra was not really meant for you (though you are welcome to use it). It was designed for MSOs. You are just testing it for the MSOs. If you want the TiVo experience you are used to, downgrade or don't upgrade.

4. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Going to have to side with jrtroo here. You say you lurked for years, but you missed that the play all feature was gone?

5. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    +1

More importantly, during said lurking, you SHOULD have also read the warnings about 'voluntarily' upgrading and the penalty if you then decide to revert back. :(

I can understand your disappointment / rage, but you're complaining to TCF members here, like many before you re: Hydra, and RoVi (who doesn't read these posts) doesn't really care what you like, or want.

If you're interested, you can install a free program and copy your 'transferable' (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc... not HBO, SHO, FX, etc...) recordings to a PC, revert back to Gen3 / Encore, and then either copy them back to your TiVo or watch them off the PC. This works best with MPEG2 shows, more complicated with MPEG4 / H.264, but, if you choose to, there are plenty of posts available to read explaining it.

BTW, I too enjoy going to sleep to the sound of the TV. So much so that I've become addicted to this 'poor sleep hygiene'. :oops:

What model TiVo do you have and when / why did you upgrade it to Gen4 / Hydra? (Or did it come that way?)

6. Moood

Moood New Member

May 12, 2018
    I have a 500g Bolt and Mini.
    When lurking, I was troubleshooting some issue or doing research on a new box. I didn’t read up on all of the problems with TiVo. Why did I upgrade? Same reason I update my phone, to get new OS with new features, streamlined interface and increased performance. Gen3 was a great upgrade from gen2. Why would I expect to lose features by upgrading?
    Hindsight is 20/20 and yes I wish I had done my due diligence. But... here I am. What can I do about it now?
    Because they are designing an UI for the cable company, that means they won’t bring this feature back? Is my only option to transfer everything to another device and reinstall the old system?

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    AFAIK, there has been no mention that they consider not having play all a bug. Maybe they do and I just didn't see it. There have been a couple of releases of Hydra and they haven't added it back. Your best bet is to move shows off the unit, downgrade, and then optionally move them back or playback from where you moved them to, either PC or another TiVo.

If you feel very violated, you can pick up a TiVo, sign up for a month, move stuff onto it, downgrade your original TiVo, then move shows back. You'll lose copy protect shows but should be able to keep most. Assuming you get everything done in less than 30 days, everything is returnable and refundable.

You can also move stuff to PC using various tools.

I don't think complaining to TiVo will help.

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I don't mean to be rude, but really, what planet have you been on? I have been losing features because of upgrading since I bought my first computer.

randyb359 likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And I never understand it each time it happens. ;) What can I say--I'm a silly user.

randyb359 likes this.
  10. Stacy L.

Stacy L. New Member

May 16, 2018
    Ah as usual, the "helpful" Tivo Community posters have shown up to simply throw shade and say "You should've known" while wagging their fingers.

We've had Tivos for 15 years. I voluntarily upgraded our Roamio OTA yesterday to Hydra after watching the video, reading the info, and making an informed choice. What I didn't expect however, was a raging headache from looking at the guide once it was installed on my TV. I'm annoyed as well. I'm also annoyed that today I got an email telling me that Alexa now works with Tivo but...guess what? It works with the OLD version, not the new version. Hooray for me. Now I get to tell my husband he'll have to lose 7 episodes of Ken Burns's "Vietnam" to get the old UI back.

wkearney99 likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Binge watch this weekend and roll back on Monday. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  12. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Don't bother just for Alexa... everything TiVo and Amazon claim it can do just results in "Sorry, something went wrong."

13. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Download and install Dan's easier to use pyTivo and copy your shows to your PC. Then copy them back to the Tivo after converting back to the good UI.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Alexa works with Hydra. I am using it right now. It is rolling out slowly.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Where did you get that idea? (What Tony said...). :)

Scott

16. Moood

Moood New Member

May 12, 2018
    I KNOW, tell me about it! I thought this was a SUPPORT group of sorts. Not a “that’s what what you get, idiot!”. Damn... they went for the jugular.
    I got a couple friendly solutions which I appreciate, so thank you.

17. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Perhaps you have the wrong expectations. This is a TiVo user forum. Except for TiVo_Ted who graciously drops in to give up some updated info straight from TiVo, there is no TiVo support on this forum (and TiVo_Ted is not support either)

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And as confirmed by TiVo_Ted here earlier today.

19. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I'm curious, and amused, why anyone would think that this UI is the final product that will not have "play all" for their folders?

I've got no problem with constructive criticism, request for a feature, annoyance that a flagship feature is missing or anything related to why is this missing? But the extreme negativity, and hatred spewing, I've seen in this forum bashing HYDRA can sometimes seem way over the top.

One side will say "what the heck did I just do?" and then get angry and vent here with a TiVo bashing post. The other side will state "it was voluntary, you should have researched it, here is what you can do". By now, it's a predictable pattern.:rolleyes:

You're not without options if you want to revert back to the old UI. If you don't want to use these options, and still want to complain then it borders on whining.

The ones who reverted back to the old UI, and was then forced back with the newest UI RC is the only ones that I can relate to being upside down with venting.

Eventually the pendulum will swing in the other direction and people will want to switch over because HYDRA has something better. Relax, take a deep breath, it's coming and much more, I'm sure, will follow.

Would you switch to the new UI if they had customizable folders and viewing all programs between all TiVo's? Perhaps newer apps and better speed?

I was at a friend's house that has HYDRA and he likes it. He's slightly annoyed with some things but he's not reverting back. I've played with his UI and I'm not bailing on the old UI yet. My daughter likes it but wants to wait until she can transfer shows from one TiVo to the other without using TiVo online.

Currently the consensus is "we're going to wait". But it won't be long before we will switch as it seems to be getting more polished.

TiVo is pushing SM out to our Premiere's. I was told by naysayers that it was never going to happen. Stop believing the doom and gloom and practice a little patience. Sure some things need improvement, but it'll get better, just you wait. ;)

TiVo'ing since 12/00 - I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  20. Moood

Moood New Member

May 12, 2018
    The first thing I did was fill out a feature request. It can’t hurt... Has anyone ever seen their feature request added in an update?

Like rdrrepair said, it was a flagship feature. These original features are what we love about TiVo. What’s next, we lose the ability to create a onepass. Nobody really uses that, right?