Platinum Hit

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, May 31, 2011.

1. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Watched the first ep last night (like a lot of reality shows, not on my Tivo.. watched on my non-Tivo recorder where I can watch all but the actual performance part faster than realtime).

Interesting premise, even though it's really just "American Idol slightly tweaked"..

But since this is about the songwriting, and they stressed that a few times, I think they actually should have had the songs performed by someone else. That would give someone with no/limited actual singing ability the ability to compete. Either something like have the SAME group perform all songs.. But that's probably far too difficult to do.. So then have several groups, where they either rotate between the competitors or the weekly challenge winners get to choose which group performs their song.

2. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    It resembles Top Chef far more than American Idol.

I agree that it's a flaw in the competition having the writers perform their own song. The first week at least, the best performance won.

HOWEVER, this isn't really about the competition as those of us among the more jaded reality TV viewers know. It's ultimately about creating drama and compelling television.

I think the show is terrific. And Jewel looks SMO-KIN' HOT. They put her in some fantastic dresses.

[​IMG]

3. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I found the show pretty blah, though Jewel did look great.

Forcing them to collaborate every week to me will seem to really kill the idea of the show. It's not like on Top Chef they always work in teams.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think the judges can see past that.
    Whether as writers themselves or as A&R guys, this is what they do everyday.

Very few song writers work alone from conception through the finished product.
    Even if someone comes in with something nearly sure fire the labels almost always have it tweaked by a collaborator. It's about give and take and contributing to a whole. Someone talented but impossible to work with is always going to be passed over for someone who works well with others.

5. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    True, but you could make the same argument for Top Chef. You don't cook by yourself, you are part of a team. I think some group challenges are fine, I just wonder if they all will be that way.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Just what the world needs is yet another Idol wannabe.

Blech!

;):)

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Is this show like a total flop? It got shuffled around, and doesn't air reruns a million times, so I missed an ep. I still don't care too much (like I said originally), but it's annoying to miss an ep. I might've watched it if it were on hulu or something, but it's not.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have never even heard of this show. :confused: