Plasma burn in / ghosting fix ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa

Advertisements

I usually watch 4:3 content at night on my S3 which is connected to my Samsung PN58B650 and it seems I have ghosting / burnin of the lines on the side of the screen. Well, while this isnt so bad this is, well not so much as bad as it is annoying dpending on what your watching and color brightness etc. Anyway, I have the USA HD logo ghosted / burned in on the lower right of my screen.

I was wondering if something like this might be worth getting and if so where can I buy something like it thats really good ?

I only ask because if you click the link you'll noticed its on hold / backorder or something.

Edit: I wanted to add that while I might not run the sliding gray and white bars as much as I probably should I do havew pixel shifting turned on for my set.

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    You can't really "unburn" a burned in screen. You can only burn in the areas that haven't been burned. So it seems like that disc would only more evenly burn in your screen and thus make it darker overall.

3. jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    I wonder if the isn't really just image retention and not burn-in. Most newer plasmas are quite resistant to actual burn-in. Try to run the set in stretch mode for a few days and see if the screen doesn't recover.

Many of the newer plasma's have a function you can enable to move those logo's around by a pixel randomly so as not to cause permanent burn-in damage. Not sure about your model but look to the owners manual to check. My Pioneers have this.

4. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    It might not be burn in, I honestly dont know but I do have screen burn protection on for the pixel shift.

2 Horizontal
    1 Vertical
    Every 1min

My TV's been off for maybe 2-3 hrs I just turned it back on and I can stil lsee the logo so it might be burn in or just a bad case of retention.

I havent slept yet so if anything I could probably leave the scrolling thing on while I sleep. All that is is just black and white goin around n around n around (left to right) the sreen

Edit: I also read somewhere that instead of scrolling bars like what I am using now that you can goto a dead channel with snow and let that run to.

5. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA

Advertisements

This is strange I ran across this post - I have an LCD Vizio, which is about 3 years old, and my wife paused the "Marriage Ref" the other night that was recorded on my Tivo S3, so we could get the kids ready for bed. Anyways, when we came back down, it had a serious case of Burn In or Retention, which I never recalled before..... Could this be a case of an LCD unit going bad, something linked to the Tivo or ???

Also, it seemed to clear itself out overnight, but it remained for several hours after it occurred, while switching channels/etc...

6. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

mattack: LCDs don't "burn in"... there is no mechanism to do so. Over VERY long periods of time, the LCD can "wear"... in theory, but certainly nothing you'd see within even a few days, much less hours.

EDIT: As for the burnin disc, there are probably some free ones you can burn yourself available on the internet (check AVSForums.com, for example). Some TVs have this type of functionality built in, as well (my 2008 model-year Panasonic does).

7. obsidian

obsidian New Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Probably just image retention. Turning the TV off won't remove it, only watching something over it will. If you want you can download this break-in dvd and run it for a while:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6230381&&#post6230381

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
  9. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    This happens on my plasma all the time after watching a non-16:9 movie or a long sports game. Once the show/game is over I just hit the channel up button, wait for a few seconds, then repeat. A minute or so of this and the retained image is gone.