Planning to Cord Cut...not sure which OTA to go with.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jdhutton, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jdhutton

jdhutton New Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I currently have 2 tivo roamio plus's with with 4 mini v2's (2 on each roamio) on spectrum. other then the other half, my daughter and I find us watching a very small amount of broadcasted tv and the SO watching mostly nbc, cbs, etc (OTA channels). so the thought is why am I paying spectrum.

None of our tv's (Samsung) support Dolby vision and my daughter mostly streams from her xbox and I steam locally from the TV on the Q8 in the living room and the MU8000 in the office. The bed room has a older 6000 series tv that we will maybe upgrade to vox.

So my question is bestbuy currently has Bolt OTA on sale for 209.99 is it worth it vs the new edge? Am I loosing anything in these use cases by going with the bolt over the new Edge?

J

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Roamio, Bolt, or EDGE are all basically the same for OTA.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I might recommend: Black Friday (month) will be here soon, and TiVo has run specials the past few years (starting a week or 2 before BF/Cyber Monday). I'd be inclined to wait and see what happens--and keep up here, where unpublicized sales can get discussed.

unclehonkey and snerd like this.
  4. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Just in case you're interested in another option for an OTA DVR, you might consider Tablo. You'd buy their box, connect whatever size USB hard drive to it you want, and then connect it to your home network, either via ethernet or wifi. Then you could use the Tablo apps on your Samsung smart TVs and Xbox One (as well as lots of other devices, including phones and tablets) to watch live and recorded OTA TV. Tablo sells various models with 2 and 4 OTA tuners (including refurbs that can save you some money, ranging in price from $80-$160). The first month of Tablo DVR service is free, then costs $5/mo or $50/yr or $150 for lifetime. Unlike TiVo, the lifetime subscription is tied to your account, not a specific unit, so you can easily switch the lifetime subscription to a different Tablo unit in the future at no cost. Tablo also gets their program guide data from Gracenote, which many folks believe is superior to the Rovi guide data that TiVo switched to (away from Gracenote) when Rovi and TiVo merged a few years back. Like TiVo, Tablo supports ad skipping in recordings, although I don't know how well it works.

One of the nice things about this approach is that you would use your Samsung TV (or Xbox One) remote for everything, all your various streaming apps plus live and recorded OTA TV. OTA TV really just becomes another app that you switch to rather than a separate input device with its own separate remote, which is how it would work with TiVo.

Just to compare prices, the cheapest TiVo option for you would be a refurbished TiVo Roamio OTA with 4 tuners and a 1 TB drive. You could use your existing Minis for secondary TVs. It comes with lifetime service and costs $340. The cheapest Tablo would be a refurbished current-model Tablo Dual Lite OTA with 2 tuners and no built-in storage for $80. If you wanted 4 tuners, the cheapest Tablo would be a refurbished older-model Tablo 4-Tuner OTA for $120. Budget another $50 for a 1 TB USB hard drive and $150 for lifetime service and you're at a total of $280 - $320.

5. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Does your market have its locals on Hulu or YouTube Tv?

6. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    IMHO the Roamio series was the best TiVo ever produced, and it's been all downhill from there. I would save the money and go for a couple of used Roamio OTA or OTA VOX units on eBay. I see some with transferable Lifetime service there, and many without. Some of those eBay listings are also described here on TCF.

Bolt hardware runs hot and sometimes noisy, Bolt software still has issues, and I think it will be quite a while before the bugs and defects in the EDGE are resolved. You don't care about their streaming features which is good because TiVo is not the best choice for streaming, so why look at those new plastic boxes? Buying used Roamios seems far less risky and far less annoying to me.

If you're interested in alternatives like Tablo, HD HomeRun, Channels, and other more-or-less DIY options, there's a TiVo Alternatives thread for that. But dropping in one or two OTA Roamios seems like a no-brainer to me.

davezatz likes this.
  7. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Counter point on TiVo, my Roamio is buggy and my Bolt is rock solid and faster.

IMO, Premiere XLs were the best TiVos ever but are aged now with terribly slow app response.

Balzer likes this.
  8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You can verify which locals you get on Youtube TV by entering your zip here:
    YouTube TV - Stream Live & Local TV

9. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    My Premier XL was a dream while it lasted, but yes it was way too slow in the end, and at this point would be a downgrade from a Roamio of course. I did replace the Premier's fan near the end of the unit's life, but had no other issues with it.

Sorry to hear you encountered bugs in your Roamio. That doesn't seem as common as Bolt issues, especially those caused by its odd hardware design. No such issues in our Roamio Pro, which remains at the center of our system, while the Bolt has been retired.

When I opened the Bolt, I found a chunk of solder rolling around loose under the motherboard. That had been making a vibration noise in harmony with the fan. The fan itself developed a clicking noise within a year, so I replaced it but the stock fan model is still too loud so I'm trying another. Many of us elevate the Bolt to improve cooling. And so on.

10. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I elevate all my TiVos with home made spacers of cut to fit PVC rolled with electrical tape.

11. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Nice. Never saw the need to elevate like that that until the Bolt and its bottom fan. I do have my Roamio arranged sideways on a server closet shelf so that the rear fan has more room to blow now, but for years when it and all its predecessors lived in a bedroom the fans faced a wall with no issues (though in a shelving unit with custom cutouts allowing the heat to rise). No EDGE here yet. Or maybe ever.

12. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    My Roamio OTA has been great for almost 3 years now. But I can't see myself ever replacing it with another Tivo device particularly due to the poor streaming functionality. For this reason I would likely go with the Fire TV Recast.

13. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Personally I don't consider TiVo a streaming device and since Recast mucks with the image quality and doesn't support AutoSkip I'd probably have to pick up another TiVo if/when the current one fails. Now my locals are looking worse (almost daily) via subchannels so I'll probably give up OTA before the TiVo fails...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  14. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    The point is I don't like having to switch TV inputs every time I switch between OTA, Hulu, and Prime Video. I like having everything all in one place in a homogeneous interface. Supposedly the Recast has auto skip in beta right now. Picture quality is not terribly important to me. For years I had a Netflix standard plan (480i) and it was fine for me.

15. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I simply don't understand the point... worse case one push of a button over endless hours of lesser quality viewing.

Not to mention virtually every streaming app has a different user interface which is far from being an homogeneous experience.

16. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I access live and recorded OTA TV as apps on my Apple TV, right alongside all the various streaming apps I use. Couple years ago, I was switching back and forth between a Roamio OTA and an Apple TV. And even though I was using a Logitech programmable universal remote for both boxes (and therefore didn't even have to bother with switching remotes), my user experience is far better now having it all unified on the Apple TV. Much quicker to switch between OTA and streaming, and just about everything uses a standard Apple playback UI and controls, so there's more consistency than was the case before.

I really think it's one of those things you just have to experience firsthand for a little while to appreciate the difference.

17. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I have used Apple TV (since the hard drive versions) and have never "appreciated" the difference. Not to mention virtually every other streamer... Nor did I find the various app interfaces consistent (to any extent) on the last three Apple TV 4K devices I used.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  18. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    By "homogeneous" I mean that I want to be able to go into my Fire Stick and everything I need is right there. I can click Hulu, I can click Netflix, whatever I'm watching it's the same remote on the same platform. I know each individual app is different once you open it, but that's not the point. I'm also not anal about picture quality. I have a Standard 480i Netflix plan and it looks perfectly fine to me on my 50" Sony and 50" Samsung. I see no point in paying 4 extra dollars a month to "upgrade" to 720 or 1080.

19. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Unfortunately my Fire TV Stick 4K (nor Apple TV 4K) doesn't have (or offer) everything I need including HD audio (via Kodi). Much like video I don't see a reason to sacrifice endless hours of audio over a single click. If one does more power to them... just don't expect me to understand. :)

20. alexzogh

alexzogh New Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm surprised to see Plex and hdhomerun aren't offered as viable alternatives. I find the Plex product far superior to Tablo - it can cut out commercials, download all of the metadata and store all of your recorded movies / TV in a fantastic interface you can stream or download for offline use. Every streaming device has it's app available (Roku,AppleTV,FireTV,AndroidTV), and so do most televisions. Lifetime service (plexpass) goes on sale all the time for $99. If not for the Tennis Channel, we would be off cable and Tivo completely.