1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on purchasing Tivo RoamioOTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reber1b, Jan 11, 2018.

1. reber1b

reber1b New Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Mea Culpa: I'm not only new to this site, but I'm also new to Tivo. I've had Directv for 20 years and have finally gotten tired of paying for a couple of hundred channels when I only watch 2. Almost every evening I watch a Foxnews program followed by a news program from a local channel (both DVR'd). After those two, which takes me about 45 minutes, I switch to Netflix which I watch until I turn the TV off for the evening.

My plan, at this point, is to subscribe to "Directv Now" through my Roku to view the Foxnews content, and through an HD OTA antenna for the local channel's news hour. Since I can't envision watching any content live, I have tentatively narrowed my DVR search down to the Tivo Roamio OTA.

From what info I have gathered through Googling and from the PDF manual for the Roamio OTA, I think that model is the best choice for me. The questions I have at this point are as follows:

I'm looking at the Mohu Leaf Glide indoor antenna. I live about 35 miles north of San Diego, CA, and the Mohu Leaf Glide claims to have a 65 mile range. Looking at images of the connector on the antenna, and images of the rear panel of the RoamioOTA, I'm figuring that they're a fit. Can anyone confirm this?

I see lots of Tivo adds that say things like, "Lifetime service subscription". If that is the case with the one I buy, and that service comes with the device, can the Tivo service schedule a mixture of OTA content as well as streaming content? If I am to do manual scheduling, can I schedule a "series" record so that I can do it once and forget it until something changes?

The remote for the RoamioOTA makes a point of the fact that it is voice avtivated. Is it possible to use the remote with button clicks instead of talking to it?

Is there any way a service such as Directv Now can prevent a Tivo from recording its content?

Thanks in advance

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'd benefit from reviewing your OTA options via one or more of the following sites:

Though, critically, a TiVo cannot record streaming content such as Netflix or DirecTV NOW; the TiVo would only tune & record the OTA antenna programming, and provide access to a number of Internet streaming services -- though a Roku will offer a greater variety of streaming apps, and receive more frequent updates to the apps.

Have you looked at Tablo as an alternative for recording your OTA content, since the Tablo relies on Roku and other streaming devices for playback? (Of course, the Tablo won't be able to record streaming content either, but it would reduce the need to jump between the TV inputs to switch between OTA and DirecTV Now content.)

p.s. Yes, the VOX (voice) Remote is just a regular remote with a Mic button. The voice feature is only activated when you've pressed the Mic button; otherwise, it will function as a normal wireless remote (or can be toggled to IR mode, if that's preferred).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. reber1b

reber1b New Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for the reply krkaufman. I've done some more Googling today and frankly, I feel disappointed. I was hoping to find a DVR that would simply record whatever content that was fed to it -- like the old VCR's would. With all the talk about cord cutting on the internet, I would think someone would build a DVR with input as well as output HDMI ports as well as a digital antenna port. That would be an awesome cord cutting tool.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I never understood the desire to record things that you can access anytime on demand. What's the point.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Really?

TV is better than VOD and Streaming. By a country mile!

-KP

Mikeguy, PSU_Sudzi and jackstoker like this.
  6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'm talking about recording streaming content like Netflix, not recording TV.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm assuming as a fallback should the program be pulled from the streaming service, or to be able to view the content offline, where the provider doesn't offer download functionality natively.

Series3Sub likes this.
  8. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Because if you want to watch a streamed show again next, you have to stream it again. Maybe you no longer have an account, or maybe your ISP has a monthly cap.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The only thing that is sad and missing for the Roamio OTA (and the Roamio), is the lack of a TiVo option for streaming content from it and transferring recordings to a mobile device. I might be missing something, but I don't think there is any TiVo solution available today for Roamios and OTA's in regards to an experience like the TiVo's that have Stream built-in. IMHO, if there were some sort of remote streaming option for the OTA, it would make that unit even more compelling. FWIW, I think people expect some sort of streaming option and Tablo and others, obviously, have that.

Thankfully, I did get TiVo Stream quite a while ago when I had the chance, and while it is not great, I do use it on my LAN or to watch shows I've transferred to my phone and tablet. It is unfortunate that a Stream option is no longer available for those who have TiVo units that are not built in with it. I guess a Slingbox is the only alternative, and that works for me for OOH streaming on my TiVo's, and, ironically, Slingbox is more reliable for live streaming than Dish Anywhere, which uses the very same Sling Media technology as the Slingbox. SlingPlayer for FireTV is greatest for OHH remote viewing on large HDTV's (and UHD TV's) with excellent PQ.

I have to say, that as of late, the TiVo app on Fire has been working unusually well, and then we learn TiVo is retiring that app. TiVo seemed to hint at something like it or better soon to come. I certainly hope so.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    As a 15 year former Directv owner and now Roamio OTA owner, may I suggest Playstation Vue instead of Directv Now. Playstation Vue has a DVR function in the cloud so you can record Fox News or anything else on their 60 channels. So I use the Tivo for recording local channels and the Playstation Vue (through Roku or Firestick) for the cable networks.

Also, you can disconnect the satellite and mount an outside antenna instead and use the same cabling that was used for the satellite to feed all of your TV's.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Intheswamp likes this.
  11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    That's the sweet part of it. I set up an OTA antenna at my daughter's house for three televisions...used the existing coax that was previously installed for a satellite dish. Don't overload the j-mount (mount that the dish was attached to). If you need to, install Do be sure and remove any splitters/combiners/etc as they are most of the time for sat frequencies and may cause problems with the OTA frequencies...splitters are cheap. I do have a preamp at the antenna to amplify the small signal at the antennas' feedpoints (2 antennas combined) so that the signals can overcome the loss incurred with the lengthy coax runs and also the loss incurred with the 3-way (power passing) splitter.

12. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    reber1b, first thing, congratulations on cutting the satellite cord!!! You won't regret it!!

You've had input on recording streaming content. Unless you foresee not having access later to the streaming content I see no need to record it...it's kind of like video-on-demand that the satellite providers offer...it's pretty well there when you want it. Some of the television series/shows might be more transient, though, than saw movies. Anyhow...

Depending on your location relative to the television transmitting towers the Mohu *might* work ok for you. "35 miles north of San Diego" is kind of vague, but I used Temecula as your location and found that three of the network signals (CBS, ABC, FOX) will be coming from around 45 miles away. Looks like the antenna farm is on Soledad Mountain at La Jolla so your antennas will be aimed a little west of due south (calculating from a generic spot in Temecula). The fly-in-the-ointment is NBC which is 50 miles away back up to the northeast...but the hills/mountains to the southeast of Palm Springs might block that signal. It looks like there is fair elevation at your site which helps. If you are are on the south slope of a hill then the three networks to the south should be accessible. If you are on the north slope of a hill then your reception will be more difficult for those three networks but NBC will be favored (if its signal can make it past those mountains). Also, it appears that a couple of the southern network stations (KFMB/CBS and KGTV/ABC) are hi-VHF, meaning small compact antennas are usually not very good at receiving these signals. I would think that you need an outdoor, VHF/UHF combo antenna to get good results. But, if you elevation is good, the LOS to the transmitters are good, etc., the Mohu *might* work. Be sure where you purchase it from has a good return policy. Remember, you want the antenna aimed southward for the bulk of the networks. Sometimes you can actually get reception from a different direction due to multi-path signals but that's not something that you want to depend on. LOS (line-of-sight) is king!

An option to an outdoor antenna is mounting an outdoor model in the attic (if you have an attic), not as good as outside but better than an indoor antenna sitting on a tv stand. ;) This requires there not be a metal roof or metal-foil-backed insulation between the antenna and the direction it's pointing. Side note...it's better to go through the side of the house rather than the roof, if aiming direction allows it.

The first thing you might want to do is grab a simple set of rabbit-ears from somewhere (dollar store?) and a 25' piece of coax cable...hook it to your present television and do some channel scans to see what you might get...with the longer coax cable you can move it around in the room and maybe over beside a window. A 100' piece of coax would allow you to get outside with the rabbit-ears taped to a 10-15' long pole...really good for accessing the suitability of an outdoor antenna. There are low-power stations closer than the network antenna farm at Soledad or the NBC transmitter to the northeast, but these are not what you are after...unless one is a "translator" that re-amplifies signals from one of the network transmitting towers. You want the "big fish"...the primary networks.

I would recommend not ordering a Roamio OTA until you've done some testing to see what kind of reception you are capable of receiving. At least, that's my opinion. There's probably some errors in my calculations but they should get you pointed in the general direction. I hope some of this helps. :)

Best wishes on the project!!!!
    Ed

Bville01 and kpeters59 like this.
  13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Unless they have *very recently* changed the package, the remote that is packaged with the Roamio OTA is a standard, non-voice activated remote. There is an optional VOX remote that you can purchase separately.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Roamio OTA being sold via TiVo.com is a VOX version and does come with the Voice remote:TiVo for Antenna

TiVo.com has been selling this version for at least a month now. However it is out of stock which has me wondering if they had very many with the voice remote. If someone is buying a Roamio OTA from another source, then it will likely be one without the voice remote.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Uh, I guess I'm missing something then...???
    "You say it. TiVo finds it. You watch it

Equipped with our latest, most powerful fourth-gen user experience and voice-enabled VOX™ Remote, you have the power to watch what you want by simply saying what you want. You also have access to all our awesome TiVo exclusive features like OneSearch™ and OnePass™ to get you to your favorites, faster, and SkipMode™, so you can jump past the commercials with just a push of a button. VOX™ Remote included with TiVo BOLT VOX™ and available for separate purchase for TiVo Roamio OTA."

Hmm, the wording leaves a bit to be...interpreted? Seems like they've merged the Bolt and the Roamio OTA together in their verbage.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya I think you are right a little miss leading to put a picture of the voice remote on the page talking about and selling the Roamio OTA and then not include it, but after re-reading the above I am inclined to think the remote was not included.

If so then it really makes me wonder why TiVo doesn't have any Roamio OTA DVRs in stock.

17. al_wilson2

al_wilson2 Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Here's an option. It's not complete Fox news, but it is unlimited streaming of fox news clips. Run Plex on a computer, and install the fox news channel. TiVo has a plex app. Using this app, you can stream unlimited fox news clips, and stream them back-to-back.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    As well as, when the size of the data results in streaming stuttering on one's less-robust Internet connection--would be nice simply to have a "Download and save it" option.

19. 19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I just started using Playon and it has a media server built in that allows remote viewing. That along with kmttg could probably be setup to work. Just a option granted you need a full time running computer and some technical know how.