planning for possible drive replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bob1000, Oct 5, 2020.

1. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019

Advertisements

I'm planning ahead for when / if a Tivo Premier dies. I own 2 TCD750500 models. One is for the little recording I still do and one is to serve several Tivo Minis around the house.

Assuming a hard drive dies, I think I can replace it rather than replace the Tivo. The initial image is the concern.

I found MFSTools 3.2 and downloaded it for future reference. I don't know how to use it yet.

My question: Assuming one Premier still works, could I use the MFSTools and copy the working drive onto a new drive, then replace the broken drive? If not, what is the best way to proceed?

Absolute worst case is use one 4 tuner model and deal with occasional locked tuners as they arise. Then wait until the other one breaks.

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Better to make a backup now then to wait until it starts to fail when you cannot make a backup. Use DVRBars for backup and restore.

3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I recommend removing the current drive, connecting it and a new drive into a PC, use DVRBars for backup to the new drive, test the new drive in the TiVo, then put the old drive back in the TiVo. Store the new drive for when it's needed.

The benefit is that you will have a new drive, ready to go, with CableCard pairings and everything else.

This is what I've done. With my luck, this level of readiness has assured me that the current TiVo drive will never fail.