Planet Earth "Shallow Seas"?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by PopcornGuy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I set a season pass for Planet Earth in HD at the beginning but due to recording conflicts with other shows, some episodes were delayed to later dates. We were watching and deleting to save space and we seem to have missed an episode. My TiVo picked up a Sunday afternoon rebroadcast a few weeks ago of an episode titled "Shallow Seas" but the recording was of a different episode (one that we had just watched). I have checked upcoming episodes as well as the Discovery website and can find no mention of "Shallow Seas". Was this one of the 11 "new" episodes? If someone has the titles of the 11 please list them here. I did also find the "Making of..." episode that only aired on the standard Discovery Channel.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Shallow Seas aired. My TiVo picked it up last Sunday or the Sunday before.

But somehow, I got screwed on the making of episode. It wasn't part of the normal program, but I saw it in the guide data and set a recording. Instead of getting what I was expecting, I got a normal episode (Ocean Deep).

3. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Am I watching the same show? I SP'd Planet Earth and it looks like a bad public television show made in the 70's that we used to watch in our elementary classrooms. This can't be the one people are raving about.

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Same here.

Just be sure to set the TiVos for the 2 hour "Filmakers Special" coming up...

5. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I had the same problem with Shallow Seas - it was listed as something else, but it played back-to-back with whatever the other one was, and the OTHER one was listed as whatever it was supposed to be, but was actually Shallow Seas.

I just can't remember what the other one was.

6. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I recorded an SD version and could not sit through it. All the raving is from people watching the series in HD. This is how it was filmed and the images are amazing in the HD quality. The narrative and the content are average at best. It's the HD picture that people are talking about most. Until something better comes around to take its place.

7. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for the info on Shallow Seas. I probably got the Ocean Deep episode by mistake also.

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    There are only eleven episodes, no new ones.

There is a "making of" film that'll air this coming Sunday night on the SD Discovery Channel, and I heard there are two or three other "things" somehow connected to the series, but not part of the actual episode run.

Here's what I have as the episode order from the recent Sunday marathon, as well as the upcoming two hour special-

Pole to Pole
    A portrait of the planet from north to south.
    Sun 4/22 9:00 AM

Mountains
    Rare animals inhabit the world's biggest mountain ranges.
    Sun 4/22 10:00 AM

Ocean Deep
    Cameras scan the ocean's surface and troll its depths, revealing daytime hunters and night feeders.
    Sun 4/22 11:00 AM

Deserts
    Rarely seen living things inhabit deserts.
    Sun 4/22 12:00 PM

Ice Worlds
    The dynamics of emperor penguin behavior; aerial images of a polar bear swimming.
    Sun 4/22 1:00 PM

Shallow Seas
    A humpback whale and her calf; pygmy seahorses; seals attack king penguins.
    Sun 4/22 2:00 PM

Great Plains
    The bizarre-looking Tibetan fox; lions hunt elephants.
    Sun 4/22 3:00 PM

Fresh Water
    Rivers descend from their mountain sources to the sea.
    Sun 4/22 4:00 PM

Jungles
    Cameras capture unprecedented views of the animal species that live on the dark jungle floor.
    Sun 4/22 5:00 PM

Forests
    Flora and fauna thrive in diverse forests.
    Sun 4/22 8:00 PM

Caves
    Cameras capture the unseen behaviors of bizarre creatures such as the cave angel fish and swiftlets.
    Sun 4/22 9:00 PM

Planet Earth: The Filmmaker's Story
    Discover what it takes to make the ultimate portrait of our planet as we go behind the scenes. See how our filmmakers create the long, powerful sequences that have never been filmed before and that capture the elemental wonder and drama of our world.
    Apr 29, 8:00 pm
    (120 minutes)

9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    DISCOVERY CHANNEL never aired the "making of" film.

Only TV listings websites mentioned it.

Discovery's own website didn't list it, and it didn't air.

The one you did record is likely what they actually had scheduled.

The two hour "Filmmakers Story" one will air this coming Sunday, at 8.

10. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for all the info gastrof. This is what I was looking for.

11. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    +1 Thanks!

I never thought to check the Discovery site and the listing there to see where to goof was. Duh! :eek:

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    No, this isn't the same show. I did a search on the TiVo guide data and found the show you are talking about listed along with the other Planet Earth. The one you are talking about was airing on a local PBS station and the description made it sound like exactly what you are talking about. The one everyone else is talking about is on Discovery Channel and has some truly stunning photography, even in SD.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Even in basic (all I have room for on my Tivo) this show is spectacular. Sometimes the quality of the photography is not in the technique or technology but in what they are photographing.

14. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Most programs don't need hi-def to be worth watching--a non-overly-compressed digital or clean analog source makes for very decent looking standard-def pictures on medium sized or smaller hi-def displays.

PBS probably has the most and best HDTV nature and travel programs. A memorable one I just happened to run across is "Crown of the Continent -- Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park". It's only 1/2 hr. long and not regularly playing on most PBS stations. It's currently on KCTS-HD in Seattle.

I hope this link works for all readers.

15. susani8

susani8 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I also have a season pass for the series on my S3 - and so far everything has recorded as it should - including Shallow Seas. I'm using Comcast and Discovery HD. Maybe your cable/satellite company screwed up the guide information they sent out?? By the way the series is spectacular! I've watched each ep several times, the quality of the picture and the beauty of our planet makes an irresistible combination!

16. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    There is a scene in Shallow Seas where a great white shark catches a seal...incredible!!

17. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Thanks. At least I know I'm not crazy. Well, at least not regarding this issue.

18. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I like the way Ripley narrates!