Plain old Satellite install questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wicketr, Sep 25, 2007.

1. wicketr

wicketr New Member

Mar 14, 2005

Advertisements

Ok, this isn't necessarily a TIVO question, more so a DirecTV question that i figure some of y'all might be able to help on. I don't have satellite. My dad does. And he's wanting a DVR. I have TIVO (on cable) and love it but know that Directv doesn't offer TIVO anymore. So he's going to get the Directv R15 or HR20.

Question #1: He doesn't have an HD TV yet, so can he use the HR20 on an existing regular TV and then whenever he does get around to upgrading TVs, his receiver will be ready for HD? What are the downsides to using an HD receiver on a standard def TV?

Question #2: What kind of dish does he need to get? Right now he has a basic setup with one LNB dish with 1 receiver (both are 10 years old). Will he have to upgrade the dish? Meaning more LNBs and more coax going into the house?

Question #3: What are the additional charges for going DVR? Monthly cost of unit? Extra LNBs? DVR cabability?

Question #4: Being a cable person and not having to use them, could someone explain multiplexers and diplexers and how they are used on a dish system?

Thanks for any info

2. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Question #1: He can use the HR20 on a non HD set. Shouldn't be any downsides to it that I am aware of.

Question #2: If he gets an HR20, it would include install of the new 5lnb dish. Would have 4 lines of coax off of the dish into the house and any DVR would get 2 of those.

Question #3: Only additional charges would be DVR for $5.99, if the DVR would be an additional receiver to the one he has now would be an additional $4.99 lease/mirror fee.

Question #4: Diplexers for satellite is used to combine OTA and Satellite signals on one cable run and then diplexes out at the satellite receiver. Would need a set of 2 diplexers for wach instance you want to do so. Multi switches are used when the necessity exists to have more than 4 runs of cables to the home. In my case I have 2 multi switches for a total of 12 lines possible. 4 lines from the sat dish are run to the multi switch and this enables 8 on a WB68 Zinwell switch. I then have 4 lines from the multi switch to another multi switch inputs giving a total of 12 possible ports to use.

3. wicketr

wicketr New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    You have 12 lines possible but only one dish with 3 or 5 NLBs? Surely you don't mean that you have 12 independent lines that can all be on different channels at the same time. I guess i just don't understand how you can use 12 lines without stepping on the toes of another TV. I guess I understand that you are splitting one of the lines and forming two out of it.

With it being split I'm guessing you are allowing more than one receiver controlling that one NLB line? Meaning that if both receivers are on at the same time using that one NLB, then they both have to be on the same channel?

4. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    That is what a multiswitch is for. The 4 lines feed a multiswitch. The multiswitch locks each one of the lines into different polarities and even odd. The first 4x8 feeds a second 4x8 which will give him 12 lines.

5. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX

Advertisements

:up:

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Unlike Cable where you can split the line into multiple feeds, Sat needs a dedicated line to each unit. You cannot split the lines as with Cable unless you get into the messy Duplexers, Stackers/Destackers etc.

So Sat uses a Multiswitch. The Feeds from the Dish all go to the Multiswitch and from there to each unit. With a 3 LNB for example (the most basic setup Today) you have 1 Sat Dish and 3 LNB's. Each one points to a different Sat: 101, 110 and 119.

The feeds from the Dish all go to the Multiswitch. Lets say it is the Wb68 (Most commonly used now) This has 4 inputs, 2 flex inputs and 8 Outputs. It is commonly referred to as a 4 x 8 Multiswitch. 4 Feeds in, 8 out.

You now have 8 Feeds out, each able to pick up all the Odd and Even Transponders on each Sat. Each feed is independant of the others.

8 Feeds: Enuff for 8 Standard Receivers, 4 Dual Tuner Receivers, or a mix and match of both.

Hope this helps :D