PLA-400 Zyxel Powerline Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Joybob, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007

Advertisements

http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_fa...yGroupNo=6CCD8904-D814-43CD-9E67-28E458968C55

I just got a set of these to increase my transfer speeds. It seems to drop out every few hours even though the signal is strong. I'm trying to upgrade the firmware but the program used to do that is very lousy.

Anyone have any experience dealing with these?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  3. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I don't have a coax line in the rooms I want to hook up.

p.s. I switched it to another ethernet port and that seems to have cleared up the problem.

4. shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    I would definitely say yours are bad. I bought some of the Airlink 101 cheapy powerline adapters, and they run 24/7 for over 2 months now. I only get 15Mb/s and not the 85 Mb/s advertised, but they are fast enough to stream anything throughout the house.

I had the 1st version powerline adapters from Dlink, and they would have to be reset every 2 weeks or so. They also hovered around the 1Mb/s range.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Do your powerline adapters work cross-circuit? That is, will they work from upstairs to downstairs?

6. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    My house is 1 story but the adapters work from one end of the house to the other, which are on separate circuits.

I am getting about ~100 megs on them though.

7. dreading

dreading New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry to chime in on such an old conversation, but I installed the pla-400 yesterday and I think I am having the exact same problem. It works great for a few hours, and then it drops the link. Once dropped it will never re-establish the link. Unplug and plug it right back in again and it links right up and works again for a few hours.

You said you switched to a different ethernet port and that fixed it? So I have the "local" unit plugged into the router, you mean plug it into a different port right? Tried that just now, I'll see if I stay up.

Is your problem 100% solved now?

By the way, to the guy who asked about going from upstairs to downstairs, the issue of course is not going from one level of the house to another. But there is an issue in going from one circuit to the other. Most houses are wired with two 120 volt circuits (and connecting both circuits together is how you get a 240 volt plug). This technology has trouble if the plugs you want to connect are in different circuits. So pretty much you've got a 50-50 chance that any two plugs in your house are going to communicate. In my case I am going from upstair to downstairs no problem (for a few hours at least) so I guess it is not true that the circuits are typically split by level.

8. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I upgraded the firmware and that seemed to fix it. But I ended up installing Cat6 all over the house since we were remodelling anyways.