pixellation and audio dropouts on local channels only

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BOBCAT, Mar 15, 2010.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area

Advertisements

For about a week or so, I have been experiencing pixellation and audio dropouts on the local channels, 2,4,5&7, here in the San Francisco bay area. All other D* channels are just fine.
    Any one else here in the SF bay area having the same problem? I get the same problem on my HR10-250's and my HR20's. My signal strength is 90 -100 on all transponders except for the known few that are at 60.
    Haven't called D* about it yet as all the CSR will do is have you cycle the power and reboot, remove and install the access card then blame the problem on your equipment. So wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    There may be a local reception problem with DTV's backhaul of SF channels that manifests as a sat delivery problem.

But that does not in any way explain how reception is affected on the OPs HR-10-250s (which do not receive local HD stations via satellite), unless the reception via the local ground station for DTV as well as the direct OTA reception is affected. If the SD sat-delivered equivalents on the HR10 are affected, that could be explained by the fact that they are derived from the HD OTA signals ported back to DTV, but HD local stations on the HR10 are all OTA only.

The DTV forum is sat-centric, which is completely understandable. I'd check the AVSForum OTA reception thread for SF and see how extensive the problem regarding reception OTA is.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I get OTA, KTVU, KPIX, KGO etc stations and they come in clearly over antenna. Few months ago I was in the hospital and the TV source there looked like DirecTV and these stations were not so clearly as it is at home. I am in the SF transmission area with sight of the transmission tower (Sutro).

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

I think it's affecting SD locals, too, not just HiDef.

6. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Thanks for the info litzdog911.
    I can't get the locals OTH as hills block the signals so all of my locals are delivered by D*. On the HR10's they are all SD. On the HR20's, I get the SD and HD feeds. All SD and HD channels have the same problem. Hope they solve the problem soon.

7. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Looks like D* solved their problem, no dropouts so far today.

8. ErliDayz

ErliDayz New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    I've been experiencing pixilation and dropouts over the last 3 months or so on SD and HD units. I used a standard dish for last 11 years until last month when I upgraded to slimline dish and HD unit. Thought problems would be resolved, but not true. My lowest signal on Hughes units is 85, but vast majority of transponders are 95 - 99 signal. 96 - 100 on new unit.
    I'm on the SE Florida Coast. West Palm area. Seems to be something going on.