Pixelation on recorded programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ctphoto, Mar 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ctphoto

ctphoto New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    New...
    During playback of recorded programs- I get one or two incidents where the screen pixelizes for a few seconds. No other issues. Happens on all recorded programs. This is a two week old Bolt.

2. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Are you OTA or cable?

We are OTA only and in bad weather can get pixelation. Though we don't get it on every recording on every channel because it only affects the weaker channels.

3. ctphoto

ctphoto New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    New...
    Cable

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps you can find someone on the forum with the same cable feed. That would allow you to compare the bad data. I think the HDD on my Roamio is bad, with only playback being affected. Usually the blocking errors happen a few minutes into a program. Of course, we have different drives. I also have stopped permanently deleting programs, forcing the box to use new locations on the drive. This has really helped while I wait for the chance to swap drives.

Sadly, the only way to verify the issue is your cable feed is to watch the program you are recording. Then play it back and see if an error can be seen. I would suggest CBS or NBC since they have the highest bit rate. A program, like sports, would have a great deal of background noise so you might hear an audio dropout too.

Good luck.

5. ctphoto

ctphoto New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    New...
    I will try that, good idea. Now if it is the HDD stuttering, should I be doing something about it?

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Does it repeat if you back over the same scenes? If so, its in the recording itself, if not, you have a different issue.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hell yes. First, check the error counters in TiVo box Diagnostics. They might be working on a Bolt, they don't work on a basic Roamio. If you have errors, call your cable feed. If the RS Corrected/Uncorrected are zero, that means you need to see if the content is coming in bad, or it is playing back bad.

It's my theory that the real time buffers used for each tuner (about 3 hours of HDD space) are static and never move. So even if you are watching a program while recording same, it's not the same logic or disk location.