Pixelation and Class Action Lawsuit

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by c_tripps_2k, Sep 29, 2007.

1. c_tripps_2k

c_tripps_2k Member

Sep 12, 2005
    With all of the issues that have plagued the Series 3 and THD, namely the pixelation issues, has there been any talk of a Class Action Lawsuit? I am so frustrated at paying $800.00 for an S3, $12.95 per month, and regular cable bills and suffer from unwatchable channels due to the pixelation. I have hounded my cable operator and have found absolutely nothing wrong on their end. Tivo customer support gives me a "Please be patient" and they roll out an update that doesn't even address the issue. They cannot even give me a time frame for a fix. If I didn't have so much invested I would jump ship in a heartbeat. I would be more than happy to join in any Class action Lawsuit!!!!

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Was it Shakespeare that said, "First, let's kill all the lawyers"?

3. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Why don't you start one rather than offer to join one. Show how serious you really are. :confused:

4. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Call TiVo again, but this time record the conversation. Make sure that you make CSR to say that they don't know ET for the fix. Then take TiVo to small claims court for cost of the DVR and service. Don't worry if it gets bumped to regular court, they will use rules of the small claims and you don't have to have an attorney. 90% chance that you will get all your money back or that TiVo will settle.

5. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Most of us don't have pixelation issues. And the only one who comes out ahead in a class action is the lawyers.

Anyway it's been mentioned many times by others for various other reasons, like no MRV etc.

Sorry you are having issues. My S3 works great. I'd have to testify in favor of TiVo. :p

6. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    That was my point. For every person you find that has pixellation issues there'd be 50 that didn't. I've had no problems that couldn't be attributed to the cable company for over a year since I got my TiVo.

7. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    If your tivo wasn't working properly during the 30 day return/cancel period, and you continued to wait without getting some sort of assurance that the issue would be fixed or you could get a refund you really dropped the ball, not tivo. If you would have told them that you had issues right away and didn't try to work out a solution with them I don't see how it is there problem. If they promised you a fix, you were unable to cancel or get a refund, then you have a legitimate complaint.

Much of such issues could be resolved with good communication, that would be my first recommendation.

8. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Cool. I haven't seen someone bring up the class action lawsuit against tivo in a while.

I've missed it.

9. spiraleyes

spiraleyes Tivo noob

Sep 17, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    My TivoHD works great, without any pixelation issues.

10. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    To the OP: ldudek speaks the truth. Repeat this truth, until you believe it. Study Class Action Lawsuits until you believe it. Find "winners" of class action lawsuits and talk to them. Talk to them until you understand it; talk to them until you believe it. Then, finally, as a True Believer, whenever you find anyone ELSE who EVER suggests to you a Class Action Lawsuit as a solution for ANYTHING, squash them like a bug! :up:

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I spoke with an attorney here in my town... He would be interested in representing any and all persons that seek damages from Tivo and their respective cable companies...

This attorney feels that the cable companies are attempting to block the introduction of an recording device other than the product they provide... That the cable cards they provide are defective to the extent they knew of these problems from the onset..

As mentioned, this attorney would start the process only if he had no less than 5,000 signatures, that this lawsuit would cover anyone that has purchased a Tivo from Sept 2006, to date...

I have yet seen anyone create a poll in regards to this ongoing pixelation issue pro or con...

12. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Earlier in 2007 I got a lot of sound drop-outs followed by pixelation on a number of my recordings. I think with subsequent Tivo software updates the issue for the most part hasn't happened in a while. But who even knows what causes them? The Tivo, the CableCards? The Cable Company?

The issue I have right now that I am in the middle of dealing with is the CableCard (M-Card) in slot 1 of my Series 3 decided to stop allowing me to watch any digital encrypted channels. :mad:

13. JasonJ75

JasonJ75 New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Brambleton, VA
    Got my TivoHD last week and just started getting the pixelation and audio drop a few minutes ago. :(

14. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    So he wants to take on TiVo and the Cable company. And he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart? No, he's doing it in hoping to make a whole heck of a lot of money and maybe get his name in the news.

Good luck getting 5000 signatures. Mine won't be one of them.

15. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Hey Doc, did this conversation happen to take place behind an ambulance? :p

16. jmr50

jmr50 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    What precisely would be your goal? If it was to ensure that TiVo were wiped from the face of the earth, the dollars currently working on products and fixes being squandered on legal fees, then a class action might be right up your alley. They're not a big company, and these suits are quite expensive to defend. The best hope for getting these fixed is to work with them - they have every interest in having us as happy customers (whereas, say, your cable company probably wants us to hate TiVo so we'll pay them $15/mo for THEIR DVR).

17. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What would the legal claim be? Even if you believe the product sucks, that is no basis for a legal claim.

18. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    So start a poll

19. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Temper tantrums are not productive for anyone. Sell it on ebay if you are so "invested." Save the rest of the world from the trouble of having to deal with you and your carrion fowl attorneys.

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *drat* does the "take a shot of your liquor of choice when lawsuit is mentioned" rule still apply in the forum?

(so much for my abstinence)