Pitch S1E1 Pilot 9/22/2016 spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Sep 23, 2016.

1. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I enjoyed this quite a lot! I really liked the premise of the first female MLB player, and they went all out showing it on TV with Joe Buck and all.

Did not see the twist coming with her father actually being dead and just a vision in the present time scenes.

Also took me more than halfway through to recognize the catcher as Mark Paul Gossler (Zach Morris). Wow did he look different with a bushy beard.

2. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I'm in. The "massive fail first time at the mount" was painfully predictable and I was thrown by the dead father twist but I enjoyed the ride.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    A bit slow but most of the characters were engaging.

Not sure how they will sustain the story but I will continue to watch. I'm a baseball junkie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Hah! I called the father twist immediately when I saw him sitting in the stands the very first time. I have to say that car accident with the hole in the driver's side window looked... gruesome. Sometimes it's what you don't show...

I could NOT remember where I'd seen Mark Paul Gosselaar for the longest time. The beard really confused me even though I knew that he hadn't had it last time. Finally IMDb came to my rescue: Franklin & Bash! I really liked that show *sigh*.

This has real potential to end up a hot mess, but I'm in for now.

5. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA

Advertisements

Tried to watch, can't watch. Can't get past her throwing motion. Her fastball can't top 60. Watching major leaguers whiff on those takes me away from any good this show might have.

6. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I couldn't imagine how they could make an entire series out of the show-- but it seems to me they may be going for an entire series ala the movie "For the love of the game". Each week learning equal parts about the present and her past.

I also did not see the Father angle coming which made it more compelling.

Still not convinced there is an entire series here, but it should make for at least a few good episodes and maybe even one season.

7. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I enjoyed it. I don't watch baseball (or know anything about it, really), so I wasn't bothered by any inadequacies in her pitches or anything like that. But I liked the premise and strong female lead, and some of the supporting characters as well. Interesting to see where they go with it.

8. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I also liked it quite a bit, definitely did not see the father twist coming but the story seems more like a tv movie than a series to me. Is there really that much to tell here?

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I will give it another episode or two, but I was not impressed.

10. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I don't know how anyone could say there may not be enough plot in this setting. Just like how could they make a show about an office? Or a group of friends? Surely there are many stories to be written about a MLB franchise, even if there wasn't the drama with the first woman player.

11. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I only watched the 2nd half, but I thought her thing was not the fastball, but the screwball? As a right hander, that probably means there's going to be a few episodes where she's going to have problems with left handed batters hitting homers off of her if she sticks with the screwball.

--Carlos "breaks down-and-away for lefties" V.

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

That's just it. The shows you mention are general settings. Stories that happen. This is a specific show about the first woman MLB player. Not a show about a baseball team.

13. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Not interested in the show at all. All my baseball itchings are already covered better by Bull Durham, Major League, Money Ball, and original Bad News Bears.

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Even in the show's universe, they say that her fastball is only something like 85. It's the screwball that her father taught her that got her this far, and near the end of the episode, somebody tells her that the other 31 teams are already trying to find a way to beat it.

I was waiting for the explanation for her poor start to be...
    that, most of the time, half the crowd was yelling at her to get off the field because she was female, but most of the people at Petco Park were there to see her pitch (and most of the rest were Padres fans or Dodger haters anyway), so what detractors were in the crowd couldn't be heard by her, and it got her off her game

One thing I did like; she was pulled in the middle of the 7th (IIRC) rather than letting her throw a complete game, and over her objections. It reminded me of Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, when the Giants' reliever that had given up 3 runs in the 7th talked the manager out of pulling him, against the manager's better judgment, and the Giants gave up 3 more runs in the 8th and lost.

15. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Ok, that was some horrible pitch graphics, and i'm not so sure a national league team would try her out, because I'd guess she'd probably bat around .000, but other than that I liked it.

As for how fast her fastball is, Greg Maddox, one of the greatest picture of all time, had a fastball at around 85 the last few years of his career, so it's not impossible, but Maddox was one of the best control pitchers in history.

-smak-

16. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I think in real life baseball there's no chance she faces the Giants best hitter with the bases loaded earlier in the game.

I think there's no chance any pitcher in their 2nd game does.

They would want to get out of it positively, and giving up 7 runs through 4 or 5, or whatever it was, wouldn't be.

-smak-

17. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Seinfeld was a specific show about a stand up comedian, yet....

-smak-

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Humor?

Seinfeld was a show about nothing. The fact that he was a stand up played almost no role in a show that claimed it was about nothing.

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yes!! I'm sure the show worked a deal with the Padres but I agree, it would be much more realistic (less unrealistic?) on an AL team. Since I'm in Boston that didn't even register with me at first :).

Who knows, maybe she's a decent at-bat. There are certainly pitchers, even in the NL, who can't hit very well.

20. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I liked it.
    I did not find the first section with the lousy pitching to be predictable and I was caught off guard with the Dad twist.
    I'm curious to see where they go with it.