Pirate Master : Last Episode

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Aug 31, 2007.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, we watched this Wednesday evening and I was so underwhelmed, I didn't start a thread. Two days later, there still isn't one so I guess I'm not the only one who felt that way.

That last episode was the worst of the bunch. Too long, too talkative, not enough suspense. Poor Christa got the losers edit from the first few minutes, it was easy to tell she wasn't going home with the gold.

There were a couple good moments. The 12 to 1 vote against Jay was a bit surprising. Christa picking John to be on her team was surprising (although I don't disagree with her choice). It's kind of novel that the first person who was eliminated from the game played a fairly prominent role twice more after that.

All in all, I rate this show as mildly interesting. A decent concept, implemented poorly. It felt very scripted and rehearsed from the first episode, gained a bit of steam in the middle, and then died with a whimper at the end.

So long, Pirate Master.

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    so who won?

3. hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    who cares?

no, seriously, I watched it, it wasn't worth the time. Innertube is the world's worst. Real player video quality was terrible and the whole experience, show included, just gave me a darn headache.

4. Mikkel_Knight

Mikkel_Knight New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    There was Jay, Christa, and the other guy as the final 3. "The Other Guy" was the winner.

This was so underwhelmingly pathetic...

I wanted to slap the hell outta Joy and the stupid glass-blower chick. Refusing to participate for anybody. Talk about completely poor sports... Makes me wonder if the casting director was doing crack when selecting people for the show. The crew (outside of Jay, John, and Nessa) actually understood the game aspect of things.

I liked the format, and Jay working for Christa figuring out that there was no way they were doing the card puzzle correctly and just essentially "skipping" it made it appear closer than it actually was...

Overall, this show had SO much potential, but it failed on almost every level. Which is incredibly surprising for a Mark Burnett production...

5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Ben.

Also, before this show was yanked from the air I had never played with BitTorrent. After trying to watch the first internet episode at the CBS website and failing miserably, I downloaded it and the experience was pretty nice. Full-screen in the Quicktime player with full control to Paus/FF/RW etc. These dumb networks need to vastly improve their on-line viewers if they want us to use them.

6. Cragmyre

Cragmyre Member

Mar 8, 2004
    The final episode was dedicated to Cheryl though.

7. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It was really strange watching the parts with Cheryl knowing that she's dead, particularly when she described her parts in one challenge as "I killed it."

8. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I bailed a long time ago, but I always liked the game. I thought the casting was the biggest problem on this show, and seems like it carried out to the end.

9. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Meh...

I agree, I followed the entire series all the way through, and the final episode was pretty lame...

I thought after the fantastic episode where it looked like Jay was history and some how was able to survive, that the show was on the upswing...

Oh well... It's done...

10. hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I wouldn't call it much though. you have to consider, when the show was filmed, ages ago, her boyfriend was very much alive and still her boyfriend. I think it's a fair assumption that her own thougts of ending it all did not start until her boyfriend did it first. Nothing shown on the show ever indicated she was anything other than driven and very normal. Her death was quite sad.

11. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Oh, don't get me wrong-- I completely agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that you could read anything into her actions on the finale. I just thought it was sadly ironic that she chose those words.

12. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    that glass blower is a weird one...anybody who says a word, she loses all respect for them :rolleyes:

pretty harsh words from Kendra...be a role model to your daughter, GET A JOB...

I wonder who voted for Jay...

13. MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    Sorry I stopped with the summaries, but I fell way behind in watching. I finally watched episodes 11 through the end this weekend. Anyway, I disagree a bit. I actually thought the finale was mostly well played out. I liked how they brought the ghost pirates back to judge the final cut (down from 3 to 2). It was a nice twist since they weren't labeled as jury members like Survivor, and no one really knew this was going to happen. Also, rather than just the last half that were cut, EVERYONE (even John) got to participate. I also liked the choosing of teams which was kind of Apprentice-ish - but was really surprised to see Christa give John another chance (his speech to her WAS good though) after he blew it so badly and even childishly took their compasses in episode one.

Jay was one of those "love to hate" guys - I actually think he probably would have deserved winning over Ben because he was more "pirate-like" as he argued. But people were too mad at how he screwed them all over to take that into consideration. Back to episode 13 - I felt REALLY bad for poor Louie (who was far and away the most honest and true of the whole bunch) when Ben took the bribe threw that expedition with Louie to keep Christa in power. At least Ben had the guts to finally admit it, AND to offer Louie the money he made from that deception to help clear his conscience. I don't blame Louie one bit for taking him up on his offer, either! ($12,000 for those who didn't see it)

I do agree the editing of the finale was bad though - as far as the post-challenge interviews that were shown during the action. You could SO tell that Christa had lost and Ben had won. Pretty cool twist also that the big treasure was right along with them the whole time - in that big chest on the ship. But they had to run around on another island and find clues that brought them back to where they started. The winner was kind of "blah" though - I think it would have been more satisfying to see Jay or even Christa win (just for the underdog factor of it for her).

14. Rhughes

Rhughes New Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Dewey, AZ, USA
    Where did you find it to download?

15. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I wasn't surprised that Ben won it. I also wasn't impressed with the Finale, it wasn't as spectacular as the Survivor finale. I love Survivor when all the players get to say their peace, it's actually quite entertaining. Pirate Master wasn't entertaining in this regard.

Though I did like the finale challenge a bit, they have to work to win it, it's not a voting contest.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Survivor this fall. Hopefully China will be interesting.