Pirate Master - Episode 9 - OOD 7/24/07 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MisterBubble, Jul 24, 2007.

1. MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    OK, I'm naming this as OOD since it's the Original Online (Instead of Air) Date - in honor of CBS joining FOX (and CW for that matter) in Hell! At least we get thown a bone - but I feel for those fans who either don't have a computer and/or Internet access or have one but can't get the video to work.

I just watched the newest episode - and while I had a little trouble with part 4 sort of skipping on me, I still was able to view it pretty well and made it to the end to find out who gets cut next. That being said... this episode made me really wish CBS had just given this show it's due and let it play out, because there were some more necessary changes which I thought improved the show. As we had mentioned before, with the numbers dwindling down they had to change the rules again or there wouldn't be enough pirates to vote. For those who had trouble with the video, here's a quick summary:

They had a little celebration for being the top 8 (midway point of game) pirates and got "all-you-can-eat fish" and such. Then they were told there were to be no more officers. So Jay and Ben's coats were taken away. That left Azmyth as captain alone and left the "Triad" in the hands of a random draw for red and black teams. Ben and Jay both ended up on the red team with Kendra and Christa, and Louie, Nessa and Laurel drew black to join Azmyth. The red team won the challenge and elected Christa as the new captain, though she wasn't too thrilled about the position at first.

Then the host announced the captain now was to receive ALL the booty from that trip (since there were no officers), which totalled $50,000. Christa followed Jay's "plan" of splitting the treasure 12,500 each with the red team members - EXCEPT for Kendra. Instead Kendra (the royal pardon holder) got 2,500 and was told Christa would be bidding 10,000 on the pardon, so she would get the money later. Jay told Christa she should go back on her word and NOT bid on the pardon, then she would be 10,000 richer.

The captain also has the sole responsibility for deciding which pirates are black-spotted, and now only two instead of three are chosen. Christa did so diplomatically, polling the crew individually and asking who they would choose. Every pirate mentioned either Kendra OR Azmyth (because one is weakest link and other is biggest threat) so those are whom she chose. Christa did honor her word and bid on the pardon - which is now out of the game after this week - so Kendra got the 10,000 promised. Kendra also got to stay another week, as everyone (even Jay and Ben - it was unanimous) saw this as their first and possibly only chance to get Azmyth out of the running. As he was cut adrift, my video froze but I could still hear his little goodbye words to the camera and also heard a preview for next week but didn't see it!

Let's hope CBS gets the video working better for the next episode - and for this one for those still trying to watch it. And I'm watching CBS right now during what should be Pirate Master - they've replaced it with 48 Hours Mystery (a rerun from 2006 at that) and you would think they could at least run a crawl at the bottom of the screen, explaining to the people who haven't heard the news yet where they can find Louie and pals. But I don't see a thing yet... Not all TV viewers also read news online like many of us do - it's pretty rude not to at least let them know what's going on.

2. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    FWIW, I had much better results using the Windows Media plugin than Realplayer. RP gave me a horribly pixelated picture even over a 6meg connection.

As for the ep:

Azmyth finally goes home. It was billed as the strongest vs the weakest and I never thought it would be unanimous for Azmyth. But now it leaves it wide open as to who will win even if CBS is trying to make it out like Ben and Jay have all their bases covered.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Where's the link for this?

4. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Thanks for the summary. Wish I could have watched. But as I expected, my computer had enough trouble with the streaming video that it wasn't worth the hassle and I gave up. Guess that's it for my Pirate Master days.

What a dumb decision by CBS. Granted the show isn't super fantastic, but we're most of the way through the summer season and they aren't even offering anything new as a replacement. I would have stuck it through to the end, but now I guess I'll watch some other channel instead. :thumbsdown:

5. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
  6. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I don't get decisions like this. Will people tune into a year old 48 hours in more numbers than this new show? It sucked, but does an old 48 hours draw more viewers and higher ad rates? I don't get it.

7. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    MisterBubble, Thanks for the recap of the episode. I'm going to watch it tonight, but it's good to have the recap.

8. hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I found that after the video started playing, pause it for a few minutes. When you start to play again it will play cleanly with no hiccups. Do this with each of the four sections of the videos.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Thanks for the recap.

For Canadians, CBS (along with NBC and ABC) allows us to view advertisement videos, but then blocks us from viewing any of the video clips of actual show content on the internet. We get a quick flash of a notice that content is not available to viewers from outside the U.S. Then they replay the advertisement video clip.

We can see the shows on television, the ads on the internet, the still photos, the text on the website, but the actual video clips are apparently top secret.

Screw you CBS, NBC, and ABC!

10. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Well, I tried that. But when I paused, it forgot where I was and insisted that I start from the beginning again, and it wouldn't let me FF over the parts I had already watched. That was when I gave up!

11. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    How do you make it do WM instead of RP?

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks for the summary. I won't be watching this on my laptop, thank you CBS. :(

I am still interested in the show so please keep up the summaries.

13. MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    Sure, no problem! I know this forum is more for show discussion than just summaries, but I thought since so many people mentioned problems trying to watch it on cbs.com and everyone was frustrated that it wasn't on TV when expected the other night, that I'd make an exception. I'm glad people found it useful.

I must say I'm pretty impressed that Christa actually followed through on her word with Kendra and didn't go to the dark side with Jay. (though I enjoy him - he reminds me a bit - in looks - of Lex from Survivor waaaaay back) Kendra seems to be immortal here. She's been black spotted more than anyone as far as I can remember - yet she keeps hanging on. Could she fly under the radar to the end? I would be really annoyed if that happens...

14. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    There is a tiny link in the upper right of the video window that say player settings. Click that and you can choose from RP or WM.

15. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I ended up having trouble with the 4th part of the video too. When I launched Internet explorer to run it, I had a better time. But, that even still had issues. I ended up having to fast through the first 3 parts about 6 times before the 4th part would finally play.

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    It's available in torrent form...linkerdoodle...that's a public tracker, so you don't need to register.
    No, it's not great quality, but what do you expect? It's certainly better than sitting at your computer...and if it's the same as I got off Demonoid, there's a chunk missing right before the challenge.

It was a decent episode...nice to see Christa.
    Errr...nice to see Christa become a "power player", not all that surprised to see Az go home once they lost.

17. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks for the link - at least it's a way to watch it on my Mac. The sound cut off for us about halfway through the Pirate's Court (and there is a bit missing before the challenge).

Decent episode. The challenge was more puzzle and less muscle this week, something I've been wanting from the start. Christa did a nice job with the diplomacy. I would have been tempted to not be so generous.

18. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Dear CBS, thanks for spoilering the fact that Az lost his captainicy before I even clicked the link. :mad:

Thanks so much for the recap. Very well done and appreciated. The only thing I think you missed was during every interview with Az, he stated what a great captain he'd been and how there was no way he was in danger. In this particular case, having the spoiler somehow made me giggle a bit more every time he was on my computer screen. :D

I also agree that showing year old episodes of a news program seems silly. Unless they somehow saved money by not paying Mark Burnett or something like that by not broadcasting over the air. I have no idea how any of that works, but maybe it was cheaper for CBS to pull it off the air and only send it over the internet? :confused:

19. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I think it's getting to the point where the networks could give a rat's a$$ what they air as long as they have something filling the time. It's getting harder and harder to even give thought to watching network TV anymore if nothing is even going to air a whole season.

20. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    The 4th section would not even start for me.