PIP with OREI HD-201P

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CIP54, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CIP54

CIP54 Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Duxbury,...

Advertisements

Thought I'd post this in the event anyone else is thinking of doing this. I've been looking for a convenient way to have side by side PIP on my 60" Plasma so that I can watch sports silently while my spouse watches something she likes. Of course 20 years ago this was built into my TV but has been lost over the years.
    Anyway, I found the OREI HD-201P on Amazon, $99. Takes the HDMI output from my Roamio and my Fios STB (which I use mainly for on demand stuff) and outputs to my Yamaha receiver. This device comes with IR remote so I programmed my Harmony to add it to activities.
    The good news is that it works beautifully. I can have the two inputs side by side 16:9 (or stretched vertically which looks awful), or one full screen and the other in one of the corners at 3 different sizes. The switch changes modes quickly.
    One watch out- for some reason the device doesn't like interlaced outputs from the Tivo (it displays highly zoomed) so I had to fix the output at 1080p. I've contacted the vendor to understand why that would be the case but it's no big deal. I'd prefer for any video upconversion to happen in my TV but the difference is barely perceptible...

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You want something really cool. Samsung makes some TVs which use the 3D function to actually show two completely different sources full screen to two different users. So the way 3D works is that it polarizes the light for every other line on the screen. Normally 3D glasses will have two different lenses, one eye sees the light from the even lines and one sees the light from the odd lines. But if you wear a pair where both eyes have the same lenses then you only see one or the other. Taking advantage of this they put one source on the odd lines and one source on the even lines and then provide glasses which can only see one or the other. So you wear the odd ones, she wears the even ones, and you both see completely different sources when looking at the TV. Even cooler is they have little earbuds built into them so you can actually hear the audio from your own source too.

Not sure if it's worth upgrading your TV for, but it's an interesting solution if you guys do this a lot.

3. CIP54

CIP54 Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Duxbury,...
    That's a cool idea. Plus she can make fun of the way I look with the glasses on! (of course I can't return the favor:yum:)

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I always make PIP or PAP a requirement of a new TV. Bought my latest in November 2014. It does both. My older Vizio in the bedroom does it but not well (and has limited inputs), so I use a switch that does not-so-great PIP.