Pioneers of Television - Local Kids' TV

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DeDondeEs, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 #1 of 47
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

Advertisements

Came across this series channel surfing. I found it really interesting. Having grown up at the tail end of when they still made local kids TV shows, I didn't realize that they had different franchises of Bozo the Clown and Romper Room in major cities across the US. The origin of Ronald McDonald was a pretty neat story, that original Ronald looked awful, and almost scary.

2. Feb 9, 2011 #2 of 47
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    If I recall, we was Willard Scott..the former Today Show weatherman.

..and yes he was fairly scary looking for a clown.

:)

3. Feb 9, 2011 #3 of 47
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I've had an SP for this series since the beginning. Really great shows.

Recorded this one but haven't watched it yet - looking forward to it.

4. Feb 9, 2011 #4 of 47
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I'm glad I made an auto recording wishlist for this show last year. I actually had thought they had run out of topics. It's a great show.

5. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

Watched this episode last night. Interesting, but I was surprised they didn't even mention Captain Kangaroo. He was national, wasn't he?

Other shows local to me as a kid in New England were Rex Trailer and Uncle Gus, but I wasn't as surprised that they weren't mentioned.

6. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I started my career in broadcasting running camera for the local ABC affiliate version of Romper Room. Our "Ms Nancy" was very cute. She always saw me and other studio personnel in her Magic Mirror at the end of the show. :)

7. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Yes, Captain Kangaroo was on the CBS network, so he was off-topic for a show on local kids' TV. Maybe if they'll do a third series, they'll get around to him (along with Saturday morning cartoons and whatnot).

8. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though on the little extra bits after the main show, one of the people they showed was either Captain Kangaroo or the guy from Howdy Doody, right? So I think one of them did do a local version of the show. (It was Hawaii, IIRC.)

9. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    If anyone else missed the show, the little demon has both this second season and the 2008 season available.

I'm mostly getting it to see if a show I always used to watch out of Sioux Falls is mentioned, Captain 11.

10. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I remember a lot of local shows out of the NYC area.
    Sandy Becker, Claude Kershner, Wonderama, Soupy Sales.
    There was also Andy's Gang with Andy Devine, but I'm not sure that originated out of NY.

11. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I never knew Bozo and Romper Room had different hosts in different cities. St.Louis didn't have a Bozo, and I can't remember the host of Romper Room here in St. Louis when I was a kid.

We did have Corky the Clown, who had a Saturday morning show "Corky's Colorama". Corky was played by one of the weatherman on KSDK. His name was Cliff St. James. The other local kid show I remember was "Mr. Patches' Cartoon Carnival" on KDNL, it was on M-F in the afternoon after school. My older brother remembers another local kids show called Texas Bruce, but that was on the air back in the 50s, way before my time.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    One area station had Romper room (CKCO Kitchener), and a man on the street trivia show. Being a CTV affiliate, they aired the original You Can't Do That On TV (although that came from the CTV Ottawa station.

More locally, I remember our local station had a weekly talent type show, and this show where the "Station" band covered popular country music songs, sometimes in a skit fashion. At noon weekdays, they aired a package of classic cartoons, either Popeye or Woody Woodpecker.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My sister was on Wonderama, I was on a show called Birthday House for my 5th birthday. Wonderama was the first show I became aware of both the Odyssey Game system (the pre-curser to game consoles like Atari 2600) and McDonalds, which used to advertise heavily on Wonderama back in the early 70s when they first came to the NY area.

14. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    That's what I grew up with. I liked Sonny Fox better than whoever replaced him on Wonderama.

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    He's mostly before my time, but I remember him on national stuff in the 70s.

But there's a show that's been shown on PBS about him recently. IIRC, I've seen it show up in the listings a few times, so it'll probably show up again.

16. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Captain 11 was also the station's weatherman. I wonder why there seems to have been a trend to make the weathermen the kid show hosts.

17. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Little demon? I don't know what that is.

I wasn't aware that there was an earlier set. I'd love to see them. I this set.

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I think I knew early on that Chicago's Bozo was (the BEST and) one of many. The clue was that the Bozo in the cartoons was Larry Harmon and his name was in the credits. Gawd, I've always been such a nerd.

Trivia: Larry Harmon bough the cartoon rights to Laurel and Hardy. The Laurel and Hardy cartoons were also his.

What they showed of WGN's Bozo's circus and Ray Rayner, but not the Garfield Goose IIRC, were in the special WGN did a few years back called, "Bozo, Gar, and Ray." WGN repeats the show every Christmas season. It might be on the WGN Superstation.

We first start Bob Bell as Andy Star from the Odeon Theater showing Three Stooges, Buster Keaton and Andy shorts. http://www.chicagotelevision.com/bozobob.htm

I just remembered. My best buddy neighbor got on Bozo's Circus in the early years with his Cub Scout troop and won the Grand Prize game! He got a Visible Horse model.

The host of Howdy Doody was Buffalo Bob, but Captain Kangaroo, Bob Keeshan was Clarabell the Clown who only spoke to say, "Goodbye Kids!" on the last show.

19. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Isn't that ironic...

(OK, so that's a bad joke. :D)

We had Romper Room as well, but our most famous local kids show host was Barnaby.

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/people/barnaby.htm

Barnaby was on various local stations, but I remember him from the last years of his career on WUAB/43 (which also had "Superhost" on weekends).

20. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't think WGN America (as it's known now) has run anything Bozo-related for years. I could have missed a special, tho.