1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Dvr-810 H Phone Line-Modem Connection through comcast box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by garfan, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jun 3, 2018 #1 of 22
    garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Unable to complete a connection. It goes through my phone line, I hear the cross talk exchanges of the modem sounds, but then it does not complete the connection. I tried this with two of these models. So, it can't be the hardware. It doesn't make any sense. I haven't changed the setup at all.

2. Jun 3, 2018 #2 of 22
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Modems do not work well with digital phone lines. Are you on one?

3. Jun 3, 2018 #3 of 22
    garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I'm using the original phone line that came with my previous phone. How can I determine if it is a "digital" phone line versus an analog?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 22
    tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Not the phone cord, the phone service you are connecting to. Regular analog landline or are you using digital phone service like through your cable company or whatever? I'd skip the phone connection anyway, get a Tivo wireless G adapter, $10-20 max. I have a DVR810 myself, still working, the DVD burner is nice.

5. Jun 5, 2018 #5 of 22
    garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018

6. Jun 5, 2018 #6 of 22
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Maybe try some of these suggestions?

Ooma with dial up TiVo

"add the prefix *99 before you dial an outgoing Tivo call"

Dial up Tivo

If it is failing now, you could try one of the dialing prefix codes to "slow down" the modem to see if that helps. Try ,#034 (pause, enter, 034)

I think there's other Dialing Prefix Codes you can use to change 'modes' the TiVo use to dial, too, but I can't remember them off-hand...

HTH,

-KP

garfan likes this.
  7. Jun 5, 2018 #7 of 22
    tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's just called a Tivo Wireless G adapter, the model number is AG0100. I'd just get one used, ebay maybe, or Amazon. Should be able to get for $10-20, maybe even including shipping.

garfan likes this.
  8. Jun 6, 2018 #8 of 22
    tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I have not used a phone line connection for quite awhile but last time I did was very iffy. Not sure how much Tivo still supports dial in, how many numbers still available/working. The adapter so much better, heck with dial in unless you have unlimited calling you probably pay a nickel a call if local, by the minute if not. If dialing in at least once a day that can add up, especially if not local.

garfan likes this.
  9. garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Okay. I got the adapter. Now I have another problem. The network setup cannot configure properly. I don't know if I have a firewall issue or what the deal is.

10. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    That I can't tell you without more specific information, what have you done, what does it tell you along the way?

11. garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Well. I got that part working. It downloaded everything but now It won't change the channels even though I have it all the way through the cable box brand that I selected that I have. It just keeps showing a blank screen and won't change the channel. I'm hating this Pioneer more and more...

12. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well you might want to call Tivo, this sounds like basic setup to me. You are using the IR blaster so the Tivo can control the cable box correct? Depends on how you have the cable box connected also, RCA cables or coax.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    You may have to completely run guided setup. It will ask questions about how the cable box is connected etc. I'd avoid guided setup if possible though, try calling Tivo, sounds like you are almost there.

garfan likes this.
  14. garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I have a small Motorla cable box with just RF antenna and the the RCA composite video and L and R audio. that's it. I hooked up everything out from the cable box into the Tivo, then from the Tivo into the same input source on the TV. All going through AV 2 input source. It does test after test but nothings happens. All black screens. Both of the IR leds are lined up with the IR led "eye" on the cable box. Attempting to change the channel, watch to see what happens...Nothing is happening. Then after all those failed tests to change the channel, if I go back out to the main it ironically shows the text box for the shows description, but just the message Sewarchnig for signal on Cable box in. See "messages & settings/troubelshooting for info.

15. garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I have a small Motorla cable box with just RF antenna and the the RCA composite video and L and R audio. that's it. I hooked up everything out from the cable box into the Tivo, then from the Tivo into the same input source on the TV. All going through AV 2 input source. It does test after test but nothings happens. All black screens. Both of the IR leds are lined up with the IR led "eye" on the cable box. Attempting to change the channel, watch to see what happens...Nothing is happening. Then after all those failed tests to change the channel, if I go back out to the main it ironically shows the text box for the shows description, but just the message Sewarchnig for signal on Cable box in. See "messages & settings/troubelshooting for info.

16. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I still suggest calling Tivo customer support at this point. That way you get real time feedback. You sure your cable box is working correctly? You say it has just antenna and RCA, sounds old, you sure it is a digital cable box or digital adapter? Have you hooked it up directly to your TV to see if you are getting the channels without the Tivo? The box is activated with Comcast correct?

17. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    One more thing I can think of, it almost sounds like you might have a Comcast digital adapter. If so, when setting up the Tivo you need to select "Comcast Digital Adapter". If I remember the first box selections show certain brands and "other", I think you have to select "other" to get to the CDA.

18. garfan

garfan New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Not sure if It is a comcast digital adapter. I will try the "other" brand cable box selection. I do receive everything through my cable box. By the way. It is brand new! They just started using these about year to 2 years ago. They use these much smaller ones instead of the huge boxes they used to use. It is basic digital cable. Not HD cable service. So, they use these boxes for the basic now. I know my cable box works correctly, because I can receive all of my cable channels through my cable box antenna out to my tv antenna "in" input. So, know my cable box works. What I am wondering is why there are two additional antenna connections on the TIVO unit. One for an RF Bypass out and another for an RF antenna. What the heck?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Coincidentally...

Phasing out dial-up modem service

20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If these series 2's haven't been used in a long time, then you need to get the rovi software update by rerunning guided setup with the wireless g adapter. I recently revived an S2 that hadn't been used in a few years with the following. Rerun guided setup. After the first connect finishes, pull the plug and reboot. If you see the "installing software update screen" then you successfully downloaded the Rovi software and can complete guided set up once the software update completes. Otherwise; you will have to repeat the procedure until the tivo downloads the Rovi software update. If you replace the hard drive with a drive from another Tivo, then you should run clear and delete everything before you run guided setup.