Pioneer 810H Welcome Powering Up Error Still with New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brett Davis, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Brett Davis

Brett Davis New Member

May 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello,

My Pioneer 810H no longer is working. I turn on my TV and the message I receive is: Welcome. Powering up... and the message does not go away.

I replaced the hard disc drive in the 810H with a new, formatted 250gb drive from Weaknees. I am still receiving the same error message.

When I plug in the power supply, the fan comes on and no other lights come on on the front of the 810H or anywhere on the motherboard. I do not hear the hard disc drive spinning either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue? Also, if it is a power supply issue or motherboard issue does anyone know where I can find replacement parts for these items and model numbers? I contacted Weaknees and they do not carry these parts. I contacted Pioneer as well and they ask for $200 just to look at the item. Thanks for your help.

Brett

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's most likely a power supply problem then. But if Weaknees doesn't carry replacement power supply boards for this Pioneer I don't know who would. You might also check with 9thTee, though. Or try eBay for somebody selling a dead one (and hope it's not a power supply problem).

3. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    There is some hope. When I first plug in my Pioneers, nothing appears to happen on any of the displays and no LEDs light up. The front panel display finally says "Power on" about a minute or so later.

Here are some suggestions.

1. Check the master/slave jumper settings on the hard drive, make sure they are set to Cable Select.
    2. Check the data connection of the hard drive, make sure no pins are bent. Make sure the connector is secure.
    3. Check the DVD writer, make sure there is no disc in the writer during power up. I've had one act funny when trying to boot up with a disc in the writer. You can power up the TiVo with the DVD writer disconnected from power and data, to test if the writer is the culprit. You can also manually eject the tray. You will need a straightened paper clip and some luck to find the manual eject hole on the front of the TiVo.
    4. Check all of the connections of the power supply. DO THIS VERY CAREFULLY, THE POWER SUPPLY IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Make sure each connection is seated securely. Also check the power connectors to the hard drive and the writer. Make sure the white ribbon cable from the power supply to the front panel is properly seated.
    5. Disconnect any USB ethernet connection before applying power. Sometimes this helps.

In my experience, if the unit displays "Welcome, Powering up...", this indicates the power supply is good. I got a damaged Pioneer from Ebay (it was indicated in the auction) with a bad power supply. The motherboard was fine. I tried to find a supplier of power supplies and found one place that sells them for about $90 a piece. I'll see if I can find the website again. I didn't buy from them, I bought another malfunctioning Pioneer from Ebay and was able to piece together a working player.

Hope this helps.

robomeister

4. Brett Davis

Brett Davis New Member

May 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I am now at this point:

When I plug in the Pioneer 810H the fan comes on and the new Weaknees / Maxtor hard drive spins (this is with the DVD part disconnected) but I still only receive the message:

Welcome. Powering up...

A couple of questions I still have include:

Typically, how long does this message sit on the screen?

Any other tips I could try?

Any suggestions on it possibly being a motherboard issue?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brett

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You might get more help by posting this in the DVD forum.

6. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    From observing the screen during startup. The "Welcome, Powering Up" screen stays on for about a minute and a half. The "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." is displayed for about three minutes. About a minute after the "Almost there" screen shows up, the unit will display "Power up" or "Power on," I can't remember which. I think the red recording LED will flash once right before the transition between "Welcome, Powering up" screen and the "Almost there." screen.

If the unit is lifetimed, you might be able to send it to one of the sponsors of the forum to have the lifetime transfered to another unit. It will cost money, and I don't know if they offer this service for the Pioneer units. They are somewhat unique and hard to service. No one seems to have any parts for them.

If the unit is not lifetimed, you could cut your losses and sell it on ebay, and try to buy a replacement there too.

Do you have just one Pioneer? I have the luxury of having more than one, so I can switch parts between different units. If you only have one, then this is impossible. You could consider trying to win one from ebay just to swap parts, but that might be a little excessive to some people. :D

Here is the link to the site that has parts. It's called parts.com, can't believe I couldn't remember that :)
    Direct link to the Pioneer Power Supply

Hope this helps.

robomeister

7. Brett Davis

Brett Davis New Member

May 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you everyone for your help. The problem landed up being a doggone DVD being stuck in the player that would not eject.

Now, if I can only get my Vonage to make a handshake with the modem the TIVO dials into!

Thanks again for all your help,

Brett

8. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Excellent!

Now, regarding using the modem over Vonage, look for the dialup prefix codes to slow down the modem. VOIP or Vonage is not designed to pass the audio tones required for a modem connection. Sometimes you can get a connection if the modem speeds are slowed down. Or you could get a USB ethernet adapter and plug your TiVo into the home network that you have your Vonage phone plugged into.

Glad to hear it was a stuck DVD and not a bad power supply. Happy TiVoing.

robomeister.

9. section8

section8 New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    any idea how he got the DVD out? same problem i think,

10. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    To eject the DVD tray, you will need a straightened paper clip and some luck. There is a manual eject hole accessible from the front of the unit. It's about an inch or so from the left edge of the tray face. I think it is under the "light bar." When the unit is powered up, find the hole and push the straightened paper clip into the hole. The tray should come open.

Good luck.

11. section8

section8 New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    thanks! no DVD though. must be a fried drive

12. lconn

lconn New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    I had the same problem, turned out to be a dirty DVD in the drive. The hole to open the drive is below the edge of some plastic trim, I opened the box, removed the drive and popped it open. DVR has been sitting for 2 months over a bad dvd.

13. jtemail

jtemail New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Warminster,...
    I know this is a nearly 3 year old thread, but this just helped me a lot. I just did a whole hard drive swap only to find that is just a bad DVD in the recorder's drive that was preventing the bootup.

14. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

Dec 20, 2003
    East...
    Great thread. We also had a DVD that was stuck and the Pioneer kept cycling through the gray screen with "Welcome. Powering ulp..." and the 'Almost there. A few minutes more...' color screen. Straightened paperclip did the trick! Yay! Thanks, now my wife is happy again.

15. jawgster

jawgster New Member

May 12, 2005
    Same problem, stuck on Welcome - Powering Up...

First I tried the paper clip to see if there was a DVD in there... none.

Then I unplugged from power and opened up the box, unplugged the DVD drive, re-seated the hard drive cables, and blew the dust off, tried to boot - and it worked!

Plugged the DVD back in and it still worked.

So, it's fixed - much thanks!

16. jawgster

jawgster New Member

May 12, 2005
    UPDATE:

OK... I turned off my Tivo for a month while I was away and came back home to the same problem.

I opened up the box - this time, I took it to pieces and cleaned a load of dust off part of the main board which was hidden under the HD & DVD mounting.

Plugged it in again and it's working. I don't know if it was the dust that caused the problem.