Pioneer 810h registration and media access key

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by shadowfire, Jan 18, 2012.

1. shadowfire

shadowfire New Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Mass.
    hey everyone, just got my first (old) tivo the other day and had a few questions... figured i'd join this forum.

anyways, the pioneer dvr-810h i bought is hooked up to the internet using a usb to ethernet adapter. works great. i was trying to set up the tivo desktop software, but it needs a Media Access Key (MAK). this doesn't seem to reside in the system information.

i also was trying to register the box on tivo's website. i believe it was registered by a previous owner, but it let me start to register (they refer to it as "activate a tivo") anyways. it was going fine until i couldn't continue without choosing a service plan and entering credit card info. i called customer service and explained to them that this is an old series 2 dvd unit and that it has tivo basic service. they claimed that if i want to register it online i would have to buy tivo plus service (and then proceeded to ask for my credit card info to sign me up :D), which to me is a bunch of BS. the guy on the phone didn't even know what tivo basic was, so i don't really trust what he told me. any ideas?

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
  3. DJK23

DJK23 Town Tamer

Jul 24, 2010
    Southwest...
    You don't need to register it to use the basic features. If you want anything more you have to pay.