Pink Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Tony_T, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Thought I'd share this….

Just got a Bolt the other day from the White Sale.
    I've been struggling with a "Pink" Screen for the last 2 days.
    Uninstalled Hydra, issue was resolved. Re-installed Hydra, issue remained solved.
    Thought it was related to another issue that was clipping the left and right of the screen. (TiVo was automatically using 720p instead of 1080i).

Today, Pink Screen returned.
    Some more googling brought me to: Pink screen when starting up - Virgin Media Community

So, making sure my TV was on before the Bolt may have solved my Pink Screen (I'm using a Harmony 650 that was putting the Bolt to Sleep, I don't see a need for this, so I'm going to change the programming in the harmony remote).

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Pink screen is also a sign of a bad HDMI handshake and can be resolved with a higher quality HDMI cable if you're using an older "non-4K" cable you had lying around.

mllacey and lparsons21 like this.
  3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    That was my 1st thought (and may very well be the problem). My cable is of high quality, and when I was troubleshooting I tried another of my cables, as well as the cable provided by TiVo.

FWIW, never had this issue with any other component.
    (I hope its not the Bolt's HDMI board)

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    How many of the other components are 4K and HDR capable? and just because a cable works, even though it's "high quality" if it's older it could be part of the issue, you also never mentioned if there was an AVR in the mix, and if the TV was 4K HDR capable.

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
  6. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    You have two issues occurring at the same time and both are related to Hydra. The first is Hydra is stuck at 720p and can't detect your TVs native output resolution. If you install or reboot Hydra it will use 720p as that is the native resolution of TiVo Central. I have this issue and I have multiple resolutions checked. In order to fix this you will need to enter VUDU or Amazon Prime and play a trailer to a movie. This will force the TiVo to switch resolutions. When you exit one of the apps then the TiVo should recognize the different HD channel resolutions or use 1080i if set to auto.
    The second issue is one the Bolt had when it was originally released and then fixed which relates to a color space issue. If you TVs color space setting is automatic or set to auto that handshake will sometimes fail or in the case of TiVo it is an issue with Hydra.
    I took some pictures of what happens when your TV has the wrong color space set. I can set it on my Kuro.
    This is the correct color space and the picture has the correct colors:
    IMG_1062.JPG

This is the incorrect setting and gives the colors a pink hue to them:
    IMG_1063.JPG

This setting gives them a green hue. This picture will look pink as the green hue is making the natural colors look pinkish:
    IMG_1064.JPG

In some cases the screen will be completely pink or green. If the HDMI cable is failing or lacks the proper bandwidth you will get sparkles in the picture or there will be no picture or sound at all.
    In both cases this will have to be fixed by TiVo. See if you can set the color space on your TV manually to 4:4:4 as that is the native output of TiVos.

CIR-Engineering likes this.
  7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yes, that took me a bit to find, and when I did I was having trouble getting the 1080i to "stick". In Audio & Video Settings in Hydra, when I de-selected "Auto" and selected 1080i (even though TiVo still says 720p is preferred), it took me awhile to realize that the "back" button set the resolution to my selection (my 1st TiVo)

De-selecting Auto, and having 1080i selected survives a re-boot.

Yes, that's what I'm seeing (but no sparkles in the picture).
    If the problem reoccurs, I'll dig out my TV manual and see if I can set the colorspace.

Thanks.

8. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Handshake issues continue…
    This morning I got the "HDMI connection not permitted" message.
    Turning the TV Off and On again resolved the problem.
    (I still have the Harmony putting the Bolt to sleep, I'll try keeping it always on (which it is anyway)

9. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Don't put the box to sleep or standby as you will always have this issue. This happened when the Bolt was first released and it appears that it is broken with Hydra again. Rolling back to the old UI should eliminate this issue. There is some older threads in the Bolt section about this issue.
    Some one will have to report this to TiVo Ted. It is possible they know about this as I do remember seeing him post something about color space issues with Hydra.

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    OK, I'll keep the TiVo of standby, I also thought that this might resolve the issue.

How can I report this to TiVo_Ted?
    I'm new here, I don't see any PM options.

11. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    TiVo_Ted
    Click on the Info tab and then "start a conversation".

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Thanks, I just send him a note and a link to here.

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    So, keeping the TiVo always ON solved the HDMI Handshake and Pink Screen issue.

Now, I realize that there is no reason to Turn Off (Sleep) the Bolt, but it bothered me that I had no choice in the matter.

So, I later realized that since I use a Harmony 650 remote, that I could put a delay of a few seconds on the TV Power ON, thereby having the TV turn ON after the Bolt wakes up*

Lets see if this works :)

* In MyHarmony: Device->TV->Change Device Settings->Power Settings->Turn Device Off when not in use, then add 5 seconds or so Delay before Power On of TV

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  14. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Okay, I'll jump in here. We are definitely aware of the pink screen issue. With gen4/Hydra, we have expanded our 4k colorspace to support rec.2020 vs. gen3/Encore which only supported rec.709. This gets us closer to the rec.2100 support required for HDR. We reproduced this problem on a LeEco TV, and discovered an additional issue where it didn't support 1080p60 by default, and we won't allow you to choose a default resolution that isn't 60hz or better. This may also cause the box to fall back to a lower resolution. If you'd like to help figure this out a bit more, please post the exact model number of your TV and the color and refresh settings it supports. Thanks!

JoeKustra likes this.
  15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    In addition to Pink Screen and "HDMI connection not permitted" (both corrected when I turn the TV off and on again), TiVo Auto Detects 720p when the correct resolution is 1080i (in 720p the display is over-scanned). Deselecting "Auto" and selecting only 1080i resolves the issue. Display supports 1080i, 720p and 480p

I have an old Panasonic Plasma, model TH-50PHD7UY.
    I've attached the specs from the manual.

Attached Files:

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    rc11 has made Pink Screen worse.
    With rc09, turning the display off then on resolved the issue, but with rc11, I'm stuck in Pink.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    How do I roll back to rc09, I can't get out of this fu&%ing Pink Screen

18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ok, did a hard reset of the display (pulled the plug), and that resolved the Pink. I hope this lasts.

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I still cannot understand how a $30 Roku can properly do an HDMI handshake and properly detect my display, yet TiVo is unable to do so.
    :mad:

20. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi Ted,
    A year ago I checked out TE4 on my Bolt Vox 3tb unit that was connected to a 10-year-old Panasonic plasma TV. Everything looked OK visually but I wasn’t happy enough to stay with it. So I downgraded to TE3.

A year went by and I recently decided to give TE4 another chance. The good news is I did like the new menu system this time around. The bad news is that my TV was now afflicted with the pink screen problem. I assume there was an upgrade that changed colorspace settings such that my TV no longer plays nicely with TE4. As proof, I downgraded back to TE3 and the problem immediately went away, proving that there was nothing wrong with my TV per se.

Is there anything that can be done for this? I called TIVO Support but they told me the problem was my TV and denied any knowledge of past issues with HDMI/color space.

Thanks,
    Rob from AZ
    TiVo user since 1999