PIN stupidity - can we not turn them off?!

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by ptruman, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003

Advertisements

Right, this is my first serious annoyance with the new box - PINs.

Please note that for the purposes of this post and context, I have no children, and everyone in the household is definitely over 18.

I'm happy I can hide the adult channels, as I don't want anything I don't subscribe to, or pay channels, showing up (although I'd still rather just have "Channels You Receive").

I'm happy to enforce a PIN when buying something (in case I accidentally hit "Ok" when I didn't want to etc).

I'm happy there is functionality to allow parents to lock channels. I'm happy there is functionality to require PINs on 12/15/18 rated programs, but seriously, can we not disable them?!

This post on the VM help pages says not...

(my emphasis on "always needed").

I discovered this when trying to watch recordings of Family Guy and Hustle, which both taped at/after 9pm.

Seriously, it's bl**dy annoying, having to shove in a PIN every time you hit play, and I cannot see any way to disable it?

I have unlocked all channels, but there seems to be no way to turn off the PIN requirement to watch a recording. Hopefully I'm missing something hiding in a deeper menu, but I suspect not.... :(

2. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    Seconded! When my boys were younger I was very greatful to have a pin code, they are now 18 and 20 and the pin code is now not required. We need an option to remove the requirement.

3. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    This has already been fed back to the TiVo Team

4. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Good to hear;

The best solution would be based on age ratings

U - Always Off
    PG - On or Off
    12 - On or Off

ect

That way if people have teenagers at home they can allow up to a certain age without having to give out the pin that will unlock ALL age ratings.

5. Digital Fanatic

Feb 16, 2011

Advertisements

I think the idea is to have it the same as V+HD is. so if you recorded it, then it's up to you if it needs to ask for a PIN.

6. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Some more clarity - it only asks for the PINs if you are watching it at a time earlier in the day than it was recorded. I've just got back and can watch American Dad an hour after it was recorded with no PIN.

7. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    The problem for parents is that with wishlists you may not know that you have recorded it. I think the only solution is to give as many pin options as possible and have the default setup as "safe" as possible, but allow all options to be switched off.

8. Pine Cladding

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    There is also a problem when watching TV Choice on demand. Say you fancy having an afternoon of Andromeda which is rated PG; you not only have to enter a pin when you watch the first episode but every one, even if watching back to back.

I have a vague memory of a system in place that would not ask for the pin again as long as you didn't change your current action i.e. watching recordings.

9. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    It's more broken than that. I tried watching the Cricket World Cup live this morning at 9am. It wanted a PIN as the programme began after 10pm - it started at 3.30am.

10. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    To be fair (even though this PIN thing is highly annoying), anything "late night/early morning" could still be 'less than child friendly'. I suspect the 'reset' time is 6/7am.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    ^ It is indeed 6am AFAIK. Certainly on the Sky Movie channels it is.

12. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    The logic programmed in seems to be that anything starting between 10pm and 6am requires a pin, whether watching live or recorded.

Clearly that's not appropriate for sports events that start early and continue into daytime.

The pin system does not identify that a U or PG film shown on sky movies during the day is safe, still insisting on a pin.

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Whilst combing through the Forums (for something that wasn't there, as it happens) I happened to come accross this previous thread on the subject.

14. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    So, if it was OFCOM who imposed it, why didn't TiVo/Tribune enforce it on the S1?

15. Digital Fanatic

Feb 16, 2011
    Because it's only the platform that needs to have PINS, not 3rd party equipment.

As TiVo on VM is a a combined digibox and PVR, it must have PIN protection.

16. childe

childe Tivoer since 11/2000

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK
    Is the Ofcom requirement that PIN control must be active at all times, or just that there must be an option for PIN control, to be used at the discretion of the account holder?

If the former then Nanny has taken over and we should just give up being responsible for our lives - Nanny will do it for us.

If the latter then how about giving an option to turn PIN control on or off, but restrict access to this option to those with the PIN?

17. Pine Cladding

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    Sounds a logical solution to me :up:

18. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    The whole PIN thing is starting to get on my nerves (and my wife's, which is worse! :D). Asking for a PIN only based on what time it was broadcast is stupid. They really need to implement proper ratings for the guide data. :mad:

19. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  20. Pine Cladding

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    So the security mechanisms are in place we just need a software switch to allow authorised viewers to turn it off.