Pin reset?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by jonphil, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Has anyone else had the pin reset?

I came to watch 'Who do you think you are' and got prompted for the pin. Entered the pin that I set the day I got Tivo and worked Sunday evening.

Tivo kept telling me the pin was wrong, even though it was correct.

Out of frustration I entered the pin from my welcome letter and to my shock it worked.

Went to change the pin back to what I want it to be and Tivo loops round telling me the new pin I entered doesn't match on the confirmation screen.

So the pin madness get's worse when not only does it somehow get reset it won't even let me change it ??? :(

2. Royalflush

Royalflush New Member

Nov 6, 2003
    I had this recently, fixed by forcing a reboot via the menu options :up::up::up:

3. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    I'll give it a try.
    Sounds like a bug then if Tivo is resetting itself back to the default pin.

Will be setting up my new AMP tommorow so will give Tivo a reboot when I'm doing that.

4. Apr 5, 2011 #4 of 17
    LJ

LJ New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    West...
    Mine just did this to me! :eek: Entered the PIN and it kept telling me it was wrong. Entered what I thought was the default in desperation and it worked! Haven't tried resetting it yet...

5. Apr 6, 2011 #5 of 17
    kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    I had exactly this the other day. A reboot fixed it.

6. Apr 6, 2011 #6 of 17
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    Mine has done it again.
    It's really annoying to have to reboot just to get the pin working again, especially when it's so insistent on requesting the pin.

7. Apr 6, 2011 #7 of 17
    John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Yes, me too. Just as well I guessed/remembered what the "other" pin was.

8. Apr 6, 2011 #8 of 17
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    ..just a pity setting it to 0000 doesn't disable it completely - would make sense.

9. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    This just happened to me. It happened before, but changing the PIN seemed to work even though it didn't. This time I can't change the pin. I've not tried rebooting yet.

10. LJ

LJ New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    West...
    Mine's done this few times now. The original PIN works fine, then a day or so later the PIN I set starts working again without a reboot. Bit pants really. :thumbsdown:

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Okay. More weird! Never had any PIN problems here and, like others, a lot of what I record currently (and wrongly) requires one :confused:

12. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Carl have you actually changed your PIN from the default.
    The problem seems to only occur if this has been done

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes I have.

14. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    I've only seen this happen once. (Cue it happening again now! :) ) Luckily I'd already seen someone posting about it on here so I knew to try the original PIN. I tried to change it back but it wouldn't let me as it kept saying that the 2 tries at putting in the new one didn't match.

15. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Exactly the same as happened to me. Reset from the menus and I was then able to reset it back to what I wanted as a PIN

16. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Ditto.

Our had it's first "oh dear" moment since we had it. Wife complained that she couldn't watch Family Guy (which normally wants a PIN anyway), as the PIN wasn't working.

I tried 1234 and it started. Then I tried to change the PIN, and when I entered 1234 as the current PIN it rebooted.

All back to "normal" since...

Fscking PINs...

17. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    rumour has it the pin issue may have been fixed with the update this morning?
    I know Virgin was looking at my box to see what was happening as I was getting it reset on an almost weekly basis, usually on a Tuesday?