Pin Protection On All Movie Channels???

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by WeeClare, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1 of 215
    WeeClare

WeeClare New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Scotland U.K.

Advertisements

Hi all, having read some articles in forums relating to Virgin and Sky i have heard that Sky maybe putting pin protection on more movie channels.
    If this happens it will probably be the same for Virgin whom i am with.
    What is going to happen when i want to record cause at the moment it only applies to movies 9?

Cheers Clare :rolleyes: :cool:

2. Apr 4, 2007 #2 of 215
    ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Clare - I don't know for certain, but as I understand it, the PIN is on Sky boxes. VirginMedia have their own 'Parental protection' with which I doubt they'll mirror Sky's implementation.

3. Apr 4, 2007 #3 of 215
    WeeClare

WeeClare New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Scotland U.K.
    Hi, just switched on my telly and discovered that Sky Movies 1,2 and 7 are now pin protected. When you go to the channel a message appears asking you for your pin to view 12, 15 and 18 rated movies thoroughout the day, basically you can't view anything without a pin before 9pm i think - a whole 4 movies now.

I have tried everything but to no avail, so it seems we are all stuck with this. It's not fair, considering it's sky who takes my £10 subscription every moth so they know the score, might have to email them and see what they say.

The 3 channels that require the pin now run from 4pm and 5pm (+1 channel) so if i am out i can only record from 6 of the movie channels - Sky have also got rid of the 2 cinema channels too.

:mad:

4. Apr 4, 2007 #4 of 215
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Also less channels and shorter hours.
    I suspect they are using the bandwidth for Anytime.

I think the PIN issue is going to be a big with our Tivo boxes with Sky movie channels :(

Automan.

5. Apr 4, 2007 #5 of 215
    iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK

Advertisements

I think I may have just found a valid excuse to cancel my movie subscription.

6. Apr 5, 2007 #6 of 215
    atari_addict

atari_addict New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Watford
    Fiddling around Wednesday night to check that TiVo's email and the actual channel lineup matched (I had to add one channel), all the movie channels required at the minimum a press of the red button on the cable box remote to actually view the channel. Obviously, that's going to completely ruin any unattended recordings from any of these channels :mad:

I do, however, wonder how the V+ drives cope with this sort of thing. Presumably they record bitstreams which will only be decoded to view when played back by entry of the PIN code/pressing of the Red button?

7. Apr 5, 2007 #7 of 215
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. I believe that is correct. (Don't have one so can't confirm it though :))

8. Apr 5, 2007 #8 of 215
    JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    We don't have any of the premium Sky movie channels, so I'm just guessing here, but is this "new" PIN protection simply the same problem we have had for a while now with channels such as TCM?
    From what has been said it seems to be a simple extension of the same problem to more channels. What does surprise me is that it wasn't implemented earlier on the premium channels, given that they have claimed that Ofcom "forced" them to implement the PIN protection...

9. Apr 5, 2007 #9 of 215
    slimjime17

slimjime17 New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Walthamstow, UK
    This is really crap, I don't understand why I can't turn this feature off on the cable box.

I wonder if a tivo web module could be written to add the pin number.

10. Apr 6, 2007 #10 of 215
    atari_addict

atari_addict New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Watford
    I can sort-of see the rationale behind this, although I agree that for us it's a PITA.

As for a module, leaving aside the need to emulate the Red button on the original remote, a PIN code isn't always necessary to watch the actual film (according to my very limited experience do far), so I can see a problem if they are issued willy-nilly.

If it was to work however, you'd be left with an authorised recording which could (theoretically) be watched by anyone at all with access to your TiVo IYSWIM.

11. Apr 6, 2007 #11 of 215
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I understand that when the code-migration is complete (ie everyone's on the new VM-branded EPG) then there will indeed be the functionality to switch the feature off; or something like that.

12. Apr 6, 2007 #12 of 215
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    With the Sky platform I don't think we will get an option to turn off the requirement for a pin to view items in realtime (pin can be turned off for playback of recorded items including 18 rated on Sky+ / Sky HD).

Granted a Tivo module could be created to enter a preset pin after a channel change.

However it does not always ask for the pin straight away.
    e.g. with pre-start padding on the item before (or adds) may have been "U" rated and thus no pin needed till the feature starts.

Also a pin would have to be selected which would not cause the box to select another channel - I think 0000 has been suggested in other threads.

Again if you have post-padding I suspect sometimes when Tivo needs to change to another channel to make a recording it may be stuck on the "enter pin" message if the next item on the current channel requires a pin.

I suspect the usefulness of our Tivo's for movie channels could soon be over :(

Automan.

13. Apr 6, 2007 #13 of 215
    Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    Already exists.. although I don't have the movie channels any more so I'm not working on it any more. The Pin problem was one of the reasons I gave for cancelling.

14. Apr 6, 2007 #14 of 215
    -MC-

-MC- New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    London
  15. Apr 6, 2007 #15 of 215
    Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon

I haven't used the latest endpad, but doesn't it have the capability for channel specific padding? So if a channel requires a pin, you could have no padding?

And don't the movie channels have, say, two hour slots for 1.5 hour shows, the rest taken up by ads/promo material, this would negate the problem with end padding you mention, wouldn't it?

16. Apr 8, 2007 #16 of 215
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Just a reminder that the PIN requiremnent on daytime transmissions is an OFCOM requirement.

The PIN is required for Cert 12 and above on any platform.

17. Apr 8, 2007 #17 of 215
    aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Sadly I've had to cancel Sky Movies because of this problem. Many movies being shown on all of the channels during the day are now post watershed and ask for a PIN thus rendering the TiVo/sky box combination completely useless until the PIN number is keyed in.

It may be a mandetory requirement from OFCOM but not giving me the option to opt out is also a major problem as far as TiVo/automated external recording is concerned and in my opinion there should at least be the ability to opt out of the scheme (like Sky+ boxes can do for material stored on the hard drive).

18. Apr 8, 2007 #18 of 215
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Doesn't OfCom know about PVRs then?

19. Apr 8, 2007 #19 of 215
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    Best to cancel now I think, PPV works well.

Have noticed loads of films require the pin, but not at set times, if something could be written for the tivo, the tivo would not know when to do the red button then the pin.

Shame really, I hope when my box gets the virgin media firmware, I can switch it off somehow.

20. Apr 8, 2007 #20 of 215
    Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    My household consists of one 45 year old, and one 36 year old.

Somehow both of us think we are old enough to be able to decide what we watch ourselves...