pin outs for phone cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TeaVoChimp, Jul 16, 2007.

1. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...

Advertisements

Greetings!

Just took delivery of my TiVo thanx to EvilBAY...

Unfortunately it didnt come with the phone cable. I appreciate I can pick one up for 3quid plus shipping, however having draws full of modem or phone or various other RJ11 style chords...if I knew the pins, I could attach the appropriate one and get started.

Does anybody happen to have a pin out diagram for the RJ11 to UK phone cable?
    or know if its a standard modem, or telephone cable?

tried various but either got FAILED COULDN'T CONNECT or PHONE IS BUSY on the test screen

and I presume I can attach it to the same line as my phone/broadband etc?

TIA

:)

2. Nebulous

Nebulous New Member

Nov 28, 2005
  3. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I know it works with the same modem cable that comes with a Sky box should you have one.

Automan.

4. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...

Advertisements

hmmmm sadly after trying all manor of combos, including another Sky box modem cable. The best status I can get is NUMBER NOT ANSWERED.

In the main it comes back with FAILED: COULDN'T CONNECT :confused:

is there anything else I can do to test the modem side of things?

Phone, Sky, Broadband are all working fine off this wall socket...tried new ADSL filters, tried all disconnected and just the TiVo.....couldnt even hear tones on the phone if I picked up after it had begun dialing

no dice :(

guess my only option is a network card? as the modem appears to be on the main logic board

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    After your Tivo says dialing you can try picking up a phone in your home and check for activity.

Also worth checking for any dialing prefix in the tivo setup.

Automan.

6. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    nope nothing :( no clicks, no whistles, nadda :thumbsdown:

gonna try a few more things tonight, but how easy is it to go external modem? or slotting one of these network cards in (if I can find a supplier here in UK)??

7. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Make sure you do that test with your Sky box modem cable which I am 99.9% sure works with Tivo (can't confirm as my 3 x boxes are networked).

I don't think you can add an external modem but solutions for networking your Tivo can be found at http://www.tivoheaven.co.uk

Automan.

8. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    cheers for the heads up AutoMan

tried the Sky cable a couple or three times now with no joy...really does seem to point to the modem being fried. Previous owner said it was working fine when he last used it back in feb, so perhaps transit killed it. :confused:

Still, not the end of the world, jolly helpful chap at TiVoland is quoting me for network card and drive upgrade, seems a logical way to go :up:

thanx for your advice!

9. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I would check the phone cable again. The modem cable for the tivo is a funny beast...

I have a bag full of old modem cables for modems, sky boxes etc... But it took ages to find a correctly wired up one.

10. TeaVoChimp

TeaVoChimp New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hastings,...
    ...been through 2 bags now! :rolleyes:

even had my TiVo knowledgeable mate around and he couldn't get it any further.

Not to worry, just placed my order for a 250GB drive with drivers and IP settings and a LAN card

I'll have me program data in no time :D

11. SteveA

SteveA New Member

Oct 30, 2000
    UK
    There's no magic involved in the TiVo modem cable. No Voodoo, or Rocket Science!

The line is on the centre two pins. That's pins 3&4 of a 6P4C (RJ11) connector. The standard BT connector uses pins 2&5 (based on a 6 position connector). Most BT plugs only have the 4 middle-most pins, so the line is on the outer two.

So it's "BT outer" to "Tivo Inner". As RJ11 crimping tools are cheap, the simplest way to make a compatible cable is to buy a UK extension cable, cut off the BT socket and crimp on an RJ11 plug, losing the centre two wires, and directing the remaining outer wires to the centre two pins of the RJ11.