"Pilot Episode Leaked"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikkel_Knight, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 29
    Mikkel_Knight

Mikkel_Knight New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    These aren't "leaked", they are being "released".

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 29
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    How do you know?

Sure they could be released by the studios but why would some of them release it when they are obviously retooling the pilot with different cast members like "Bionic Woman" or "Aliens in America"?

Oh and most of these leaks you can tell are from screeners that were sent to TV critics and bloggers and then were passed around and someone ripped it and put it on the internet.

I think it is 50/50 but who cares it is a win-win for us.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 29
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Nah I think most of them are released.

Why release something being retooled? To get further reaction. To incite praise for the improved product when it comes out. If nobody saw how bad it was before they may not be as kind to the retooled product.

For me this is easy. Look at the shows that are "leaked." How come we NEVER see any established shows "leaked" early. There is no CSI out there a month before the fall season. The American Idol Audtion episode does not get "leaked". No shows anyone would actually want to see get leaked. Only shows the networks hope people might start watching are leaked.

It is clearly intentional.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 29
    Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    doesn't it seem strange that they all "leak" at the same time?

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 29
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    By the way it may not be the networks that leak them. It may be the Studios that are actually producing the shows. They have a lot to gain trying to get an advance audience going into the fall as well. Regardless of who is doing it though, it is not by any accident.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 29
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Established shows? They don't have pilots.

Leaking at the same time? Don't they screen pilots for critics at around the same time?

Having said that, I also believe these things are being deliberately released to generate buzz.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 29
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    The Shield is one of F/X's highest rated shows and it was consistently leaked last season.

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 29
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I still think it is people who get screeners. The shows that leak I know blogger friends of mine have received. They don't put screeners out of the established shows like CSI or ER that is why those don't leak.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 29
    dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    +1

I agree 100% they are just trying to get hype... too bad when the Pilot sucks and it does not even get a chance with the general public.

10. Mikkel_Knight

Mikkel_Knight New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    there's nothing wrong with it being released, but it's become far too common for it to be "leaked".

The networks have confidentiality clauses that would prevent this from constantly happening. Sure, a show or two may get "leaked", but considering the frequency and rate at which it's happened over the last couple of years, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it's deliberate.

If it really was "leaked" (as the word is supposed to mean), the networks would be all kinds of upset about the situation. Instead, there's no peep out of any of the networks at all - it is a calculated ploy by the individual networks to generate buzz. (and there's nothing wrong with that at all)

I'm just pointing out that they aren't being "leaked", but instead, "released".

11. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I don't know if this is still done, but copies of programs released early to screeners and reviewers used to have either a timecode window or logo supered on the video to discourage the the show from being copied around.

12. goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    thanks! Next you're going to tell me that Al Gore didn't invent the internet and wrestling is fake. ;)

13. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    Actually I was going to tell you about Santa and the Easter Bunny...

14. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Oh come on. Al Gore never claimed to have invented the internet, but he was a big reason for its success:
    Snopes Article

And wrestling isn't fake. The outcome is pre-determined, and parts of it are choreographed but they're actually doing those stunts. It's about as fake as the NBA has been the past few years. Zing!

Back on topic: I believe that these are most definitely released by the studios/networks now. It simply makes sense for them to do this. They get them out there on torrent sites and let people download them to generate buzz. The bonus is they don't need to put the shows on their servers and waste their own bandwidth.

15. goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Riiiiight. :rolleyes: Al Gore "Created" the Internet.
    yes it is

16. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Of course they do.

Idiots like radio djs get screeners of shows like the Shield, Deadwood and other shows. It is all about promotion. Often times the first 4 episodes are sent out before the season even starts on some shows.

They have to send out screeners to get shows reviewed. Shows already on there air still get reviewed.

There is little motivation for someone to leak a show nobody has ever seen or cares to see. Chances are it will suck. There would be much more prestige in leaking a show early people actually watch.

The reality of how it happens totally defies it actually being how you think it is.

What do you blogger friends have to gain by releasing those shows? It takes away from their exclusivity. It also jeopardizes their entire future in getting more releases.

The studios/Networks only potentially gain by letting these shows out early. Your blogger friends get no benefit from doing it.

17. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I honestly don't believe a single show is leaked as part of a concerted effort directed by senior execs at TV networks.

Consider how much is riding on these shows for them. Are they going to risk generating bad word of mouth that can't be retracted, even if they alter the pilot based on the feedback? Shows have one chance, and once chance only to generate a good impression, and that's the first couple of episodes.

The reason why we're seeing leaks all at once is because the promotion machine among the entertainment press is kicking into high gear right now, especially with the recent TCA press tour.

The reason you don't see established shows leak is because they don't shoot pilots as far in advance as new shows and they probably don't get sent around to critics as much, since they don't need the advance press to capture a new audience.

18. TivoFan

TivoFan New Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    Definition of Internet:

The place that isn't really a place, where people who don't know tell you how it is, supported by facts they heard once but can't remember where, and whose sole purpose is to solidify their own opinion.

------------------
    Admittedly I could have posted this just about anywhere, but it came to me in the middle of this thread.

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

I think I addressed that. Yeah they don't get sent out as early, but why does that matter. Most shows stil have 4 or 5 episodes in the can before the season starts, and they do send them out to the media. Watch the the regular tv outlets. They review current shows. They get screeners in advance. Yet we NEVER see any of these shows leaked out early.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm kind of torn on this subject. Part of me wants to believe it's deliberate, because that makes the most sense. But part of me can't make sense of it. Shows are deemed to be hits or not based on the number of viewers of the pilot episode. If they've put the pilot out there and quite a few people have already watched it, won't that cut into their viewership on premiere night and hurt their ratings? Unless the show is so good that it generates great word of mouth and the thousands of people who see it early breed tens of thousands who then watch, I just don't see how it could be beneficial.