Picture Quality?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sowildpaul, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sowildpaul

sowildpaul New Member

Jul 1, 2009

Advertisements

I am currently using Motorola 7216 HD DVR provided by Verizon FIOS TV. I am very satisfied with the picture quality on both SD and HD but I hate TV guide and DVR programming in this equipment. In the past 5 years, I used to have DirecTV HD Tivo (HR250) which showed very poor quality (especailly on SD) but I love Tivo's features. So I am thinking about buying Tivo HD XL DVR but since the PQ is very important to me, will it be the same as the PQ from the one I have now?

2. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I am thrilled with the PQ on both my my THD and S3 with FIOS - as are many others here. I have never had the Verizon box so cannot offer a personal comparison. Comparing to the DirecTV box isn't really relevent since D* compresses (compressed) the living crap out of the HD streams. Verizon has plenty of bandwidth, hence no need for over-compression.

No guarantees but I'd venture a guess that you'd be very happy.

3. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I have two TiVo S3's and Mototola HD box from Comcast. The PQ looks identical to me.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Since both the FIOS DVR and the Tivo have access to the same data stream, I would not think there would be a decrease in quality.

It's not like days of old where everyone had their own secret sauce for encoding, with all digital ala FIOS, you get the stream and simply need to decode to display. (I know, I've glossed over a ton of stuff, but I hope my point made it ok)

Diane

5. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007

Advertisements

Have both, same on both.