Picture quality with newer HD Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CHAS ZOSS, Jul 11, 2006.

1. CHAS ZOSS

CHAS ZOSS New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NORFOLK...

Advertisements

Well I have a new HD Tivo being installed next week (thru Direct tv pay shipping only deal) and was wondering if the picture quality. has been improved since mine arrived June 2004. As I recall there was allot of talk about the soft picture when it first came out, and my self included found the picture not as sharp as with my Samsung SIR- TS 160. I hope I am not opening a can of worms with this inquire! Thanks Chas

2. MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Nope,

DirecTV video quality is still some of the worse on the planet. HD and SD included. I would suggest using HDMI if you can, might be a tad sharper than the analog video outputs.

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    This answer might be a little broad, since I'm not sure what you are getting at, but the "softness" in DTV is due to the way they condition and compress the signal, which has not really changed. The HR10 pretty much perfectly reproduces whatever PQ it gets. I bought a second one a year after the first, and I can't tell them apart on my 60" Sony.

4. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If HDMI is not an option would using DVI-D be better the Component?
    (on my new dell 2407 LCD monitor there is also S-Video, VGA and Composit)

Thanks

5. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL

Advertisements

I doubt it. But then I don't think that HDMI is any better than the component either. (Stay away from S-Video and Composite, of course.)