Picture Problem w refurb 80 hr Humax

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by tivotvaddict, Jan 22, 2006.

1. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I purchased the refurbished 80 hour Humax DVR with DVD burner this past month. Immediately the picture on my tv was MUCH worse (even though I had just removed a brand new 300 hour Humax DVR and a 3 year old 80 hour Tivo and those pictures were fine). It's a little hard to describe, but it's much darker. I have futzed and futzed and changed and experimented and futzed some more with the colors/hues/contrast/saturation, etc. and it simply isn't the same. It's brighter now, but the saturation levels are just too high. To give you some idea, the reds from the red carpet and gowns at the Golden Globes were blinding to me. :) But if I change the saturation levels then it seems as though I'm always watching X-files (you know, all dark, all the time LOL).

Is it possible this has something to do with it being refurbed? Will Tivo take it back if I say that (especially if I'm buying another one from them)? It was purchased through Tivo web specials.

Is there something else you think I can try to get this "look" right?

Thanks!

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Are you running 5.3 software or 7.2? Picture quality was improved somewhat in 7.2

Unfortunately as the DVD recorder units record in a DVD standard format as opposed to the non DVD units that use a format optomised for TV recording/playback the picture quality is different. If you're not happy I would presume you get the 30 day money back guarantee even for a refurb.

3. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Thanks for your reply, Pete. So what you are saying is that the picture issue lies in the fact that the unit is built for recording to DVDs, NOT that it is a refurbed unit. So unless I exchange it for a non-DVD burning unit I will be having the same issue.

This helps me to make my decision, because I love the convenience of the DVD burner built right in. I just might have to move it to my non-primary tv. :D

Thanks for your help.

ETA: I did upgrade to the 7.2 software so that I can do the MRV, just fyi

4. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    To be absolutly sure, MRV shows between units. If the picture quality of the show recorded on the Humax is the same when played on both units then it's most likely the different recording formats. If all shows played on the Humax are the same including ones recorded on the SA Tivo then it's a problem with the Humax video out and you should get a replacement.