Picture of the New Ad's

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by devlindark, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1 of 150
    devlindark

devlindark New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Well I got a piture of what I believe is the new ad's Tivo will be putting in with commercials, I spoke about this before and I had thought it would be something that would happen only when you fast forward, but I can tell you it comes up during the commercial in real time, Only Problem is I can't figure out how to post the attachment here, Someone help me??? I click on attachment and it say script text here

2. Jul 30, 2005 #2 of 150
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Instead of using the icon for adding a picture use the Additional Options down further where it says Manage Attachments

3. Jul 30, 2005 #3 of 150
    devlindark

devlindark New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Thanks for the help and here is the picture

All in all not that bad actually as it doesn't really take up much space on the screen
    and this type of ad's gets you access to the first 4 min on the movie which I think is they way to go. Much like AOL you can get Tivo exclusives to Movies and such

Attached Files:

4. Jul 30, 2005 #4 of 150
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The thumbs up ads have been around nearly forever, they've just been modified a little.
    That's exactly how the new ads will appear - during FF playback only.

5. Jul 31, 2005 #5 of 150
    DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York

I saw one first hand, and I agree with you.

The ads are not intrusive (IMO), and refined. I think TiVo did a good job especially considering that that they are unwanted additions.

I can live with them.

6. Jul 31, 2005 #6 of 150
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    We agree that they are unwanted additions.

I accept but differ ,however, with your opinion that they are not intrusive. I find them HIGHLY intrusive. And I won't repeat the expletives from my wife when one pops up on her.

We'll live with them. We don't have much choice. There are enough plusses with TiVo to offset these negatives --for now.

Roy (who's expecting to see the usual "If you don't like it --sell it" drivel )

7. Jul 31, 2005 #7 of 150
    spaced

spaced New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Durham, NC
    Roy, this is exactly like being forced to watch commercials before a movie at the theater if you paid for a ticket. In my mind, being of the Internet generation, ads make things free, and paying makes them go away. One could argue to just show up late to the movie and miss the commercials, but then you're forced to take the worst seat in the house. Same thing with TiVo... either sit through the ads, or don't use fast forward. You do have a choice! :rolleyes:

I'm definitely with you on this one... down with the ads!

8. Jul 31, 2005 #8 of 150
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    BTW, when I watched the first "4 minutes of Stealth" from the Showcase menu, my status bar only showed 3 minutes. :)

9. Jul 31, 2005 #9 of 150
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Thanks.

Yes the ads that pop-up when FF thru them are terrible but at least they're brief. The ones like these (usually over promos for upcoming shows etc) appear real-time. No fast forwarding here.

Roy

10. Jul 31, 2005 #10 of 150
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH

So your complaining about an AD within an AD?

-Kevin

11. Jul 31, 2005 #11 of 150
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    You are quite astute.

12. Jul 31, 2005 #12 of 150
    HeyGuy

HeyGuy Jersey Tivo

Jul 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    funny, i have encountered those ads since december of 04, Now they say it is new? how strange, I have encountered many commercials with the thumbs up for more info for close to 9 months now.

13. Jul 31, 2005 #13 of 150
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Those aren't the new ads.

14. Jul 31, 2005 #14 of 150
    dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    They've been around much longer than that. The new bit is the customizable bottom part of the Icon. Tiny changes freak some people out. The promo/record this icons have always been very handy but there aren't nearly enough of them in my experience.

15. Jul 31, 2005 #15 of 150
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    A quick look at devlindark's join date shows he's new to the TiVo Community. It's reasonable to assume that to him they are new. Others of us have been enduring them for much longer. New or old many of us find them intensely irritating. Many don't. Their newness or lack thereof have nothing to do with that.

16. Jul 31, 2005 #16 of 150
    timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    I've always said that if they don't "MAKE" me watch, then I'm ok with it. If a little bug pops up, and I don't want to watch then I ignore it. Now, when they start making me watch things I don't want to that will be a different story. But I just have never seen why people get upset over this, or the yellow star on the main menu.

17. Jul 31, 2005 #17 of 150
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    But there are "new" ads, that is the fast forward ads.

What he saw are not them.

18. Jul 31, 2005 #18 of 150
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I noticed the new ads (fast forward and not fast forward) for some movie preview yesterday. I'm glad Tivo got graphic artists involved in this - they're cute. I doubt I'll ever click on one, but I see this type of advertising as inevitable regardless of DVR platform going forward. (In fact there is an article in this week's Business Week regarding some a company that offers customized ad content.) So I'm glad Tivo at least made them somewhat unobtrustive and attractive.

I still find it ironic that Tivo sells us the ability to skip ads, then sells advertisers the ability to put them back in some form. Maybe ironic isn't the right word, maybe clever business strategy is more accurate. ;)

While I'm posting anyone want to trade a 140HR Tivo with 8 months of service for a Toshiba SD-H400? We want to go Tivo Basic on one of our TV's. PM if interested.

19. Jul 31, 2005 #19 of 150
    dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    TiVo has been talking about this sort of thing since 1998 so I believe clever is indeed the better term. ;) It will be interesting to see if tweaks like these can save commercial TV in the long run, or whether it still ends up as PayTV or continuous product placement. I read an article in Newsweek recently that said that advertisers were already shrinking their budgets for broadcast TV due to the 5% of homes with DVRs where 70% of the users skip ads. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

20. Jul 31, 2005 #20 of 150
    jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    HIGHLY intrusive... down with the ads!... ads () are terrible... intensely irritating...

I use to see these kind of responses and wonder "What the heck are they talking about?!?" Being a tivo user for more than five years now, I've really never been upset about what years ago were called "Tivomatic Icons", later renamed "IPreview Icons" and since dubbed by the reactionary press as "(Evil) Popups". It use to bug me to no avail how some could get so upset about something I never even notice unless I go looking for them.

But I think I've figured it out.

I really never even see them.

Really!

Now wait a minute before you poopoo this post and skip it saying, "Ahhh... Just another damn fanboy."

I actually hardly see them, and if I do it's only for a fraction of a second. You see, I'm a hard core 30 second skip user.

That's right! The old "Select, Play, Select, Three, Zero, Select" trick.

Some of you guys are use to the rapid fast forward and have actually mastered it well. I can fully understand your reluctance to use another method of commercial skipping after getting so use to it. But in using the fast forward method, you have to see these ads that upset you so. One has even gone as so far as mentioning that he can't even "repeat the expletives from (his) wife when one pops up on her"!

So in an effort to rid yourselves of "HIGHLY intrusive, terrible (and) intensely irritating" ads, and maybe even keeping the peace at home, give the 30 second skip a try. You may jump into the program sometimes using it, but the "7 seconds back" button is great for this. It won't take long to get use to it!

It may take a little bit to get use to, but it's got to be better than hearing your wife curse at the tv!

:)