Picture Distortion with new 4k Vizio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hmanson, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1 of 12
    hmanson

hmanson New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    I just installed a new 70" UHD Vizio E70U-D3 television and I am getting some distortion in the picture. That is, horiz lines of the picture move slightly back and forth with respect to each other. This TV replaced a Vizio 70" 1080k unit that died on me. I had no problems with the previous unit when watching with Tivo. I'm wondering if the unit being 4k is a problem. Vizio says the unit simulates 4k when fed a 1080p or lower signal (like from the Roamio) and possibly it's that function (called spatial scaling, fancy way of saying interpolation, which can't be turned off) that's causing the issue. Anyone else experience similar issues or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix? Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2016 #2 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Given you can only get 4K video from UHD Blu-ray and a few streaming services, if your new TV can not deal with sub 4K video properly I would say it is defective.

3. Jun 7, 2016 #3 of 12
    hmanson

hmanson New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    The new TV can handle any signal. It still may be defective, but that is not the issue.

4. Jun 7, 2016 #4 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I wasn't talking about if it could handle non 4K video or not, just say most video you will be watching will not be native 4K and the TV should be able to properly display any resolution you feed it (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p) that isn't 4K.

Your 4K TV (and every other 4K TV) scales (converts) all signals that are not already in 4K to 4K. There should not be any: "horiz lines of the picture move slightly back and forth with respect to each other." as a result of this.

If the TV can not properly display all resolutions then it is either defective or of unacceptable poor quality/design. If possible I would test it with another video source and address this before you are outside of your return window. Returning it is a much better option than dealing with a warranty.

Good luck,

5. Jun 7, 2016 #5 of 12
    hmanson

hmanson New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks! I misunderstood your point. I plan on going though some diagnostics tomorrow.

6. Jun 8, 2016 #6 of 12
    hmanson

hmanson New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks! I misunderstood your point.

7. Jun 8, 2016 #7 of 12
    tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    At first thought this sounds like why I didn't buy a Vizio. In tests Sony and Samsung upconvert 1080 material better though in 2016 it may be that Samsung is the best. I could actually see the difference in the store when I made them show 1080 content instead of 4K on the TV's I was looking at. The same picture on Sony and Samsung for lack of better words looked rock solid, really a good picture compared to Vizio. Since at this point 95% of material is going to be 720/1080 (or even 480) I thought it was more important to go with a set that upconverted well. The Vizio 4K picture was very good and when not side by side unconverting looked pretty good.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. Jun 8, 2016 #8 of 12
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    That sounds like a scaling issue to me. Bad code or bad silicon. This set did not do well with <1080p resolutions. Are you sure you're feeding it full 1080p? If not, you should consider having your Tivo do the scaling for you by only outputting 1080p from it.

9. Jun 8, 2016 #9 of 12
    CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    You should not have the 'shimmies' with proper scaling of the image. I'd say it's time to return the unit.

The question is if it's for a refund or for a replacement. I'd recommend having them show you 1080p connect on a floor model and see if you still see the 'shimmies'.

If you do, then I'd say get you money back and keep shopping. If not, then have them replace the unit.

10. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I have a Vizio 2016 P series and the picture was perfect upconverting everything to 1080p by my Tivo Roamio that the Tv then upconverted to 4k. I just got a new tivo bolt and it is upconverting everything to 4k and then sending it to the tv in 4k and it also is perfect. Sounds to me that you are having a problem with your set.

I had a Sony 850c that I ended up returning for the new Vizio 2016 P series that blows the Sony away in picture quality and features.

11. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Yeah, I was going to recommend checking out other sets, but the D series is so much less expensive, there really is no direct competitor. Either pay more or live with less I guess.

12. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Google the Cnet TV settings and set your Vizio to the settings if still see the lines as you describe then return the TV.