picture breakup

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by gary cheshire, Aug 28, 2007.

1. gary cheshire

gary cheshire New Member

Oct 1, 2001
    uk
    Hi,

Over the last week or so been noticing picture breakup interms of pixelisation. thought it was down to the virgin media as normal but just swapped to digital freeview and its still happening, also on old recordings which were fine & Livetv even when you backup and watch the same bit again.

I'm guessing its the hard drive failing, but would appreciate it if anyone can confirm this thinking?

The existing drive is a samsung 250gb v120ce 5400rpm media drive less than 2 years old so under warranty, but can you still get hold of these drives and do warranty replace like for like or is their an alternative model to go for?

Regards

Gary

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Yes, it sounds like the drive.

The HA250JC is still available, albeit at a premium price. If you want to DIY then it can be obtained from www.ultratec.co.uk - if you want pre-configured then I can only think of one supplier who stocks them ;)

FYI, www.rexo.co.uk will usually replace your HA250JC with another, normally within a week, but they are out of stock right now and the default backup action is to replace with an SP2514N, so if you want to RMA it then you will need to include a note saying you will only accept an HA250JC and are prepared to wait...

3. gary cheshire

gary cheshire New Member

Oct 1, 2001
    uk
    Hi,

thanx for the reply.

would you recommend holding out/paying for one of the HA250JC drives?

If I get hold of a replacement drive while the old one is still working is it possible to do a direct disc to disc copy inc all recordings etc?

can the replacement drive be one that has been previously formated in windows or does it have to be brand new unformated?

cheers

Gary

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Definitely. They are the best drives for TiVo use, ever, IMHO.
    Yes, using either MFSTools or DD under linux.
    Yes - there is no problem with that as both MFSTools and DD will overwrite the partition table and treat the drive as if it were blank.

5. Hunty

Hunty New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Cheshire
    Hi

I would go to www.tivoheaven.com, and all your problems can easily be solved :)