Picture "Blanks out"

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TimmyVan, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1 of 183
    TimmyVan

TimmyVan New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Hi all,

I'm having an on going battle with my DirecTivo HD units. When watching a HD recorded show, it occasionally "blanks out" the picture for a second - but the sound is continuous. I have 2 HD Tivos, and it happens in the same place, in each show - on both units.

My signal meter on all transponders, and satellites (A, B, C) are strong - 90 and above.

I've contacted DirecTV, and was told they "thought" it was "poor electricity flow" to the units.

This only happens with HD recordings - never with standard recordings.

One Tivo is hooked up with HDMI cable - the second with component cables. And yet the video "Black out" happens on each unit, at the same place in the recordings.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!

Timmy Van

2. Jan 21, 2006 #2 of 183
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I don't think it's the unit, but the signal from Direct TV's end. I have experienced the same problem, it only happens on certain HD channels. But since it only lasts for a second I consider it a minor annoyance.

3. Jan 21, 2006 #3 of 183
    stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    I've had the same problem and only on the HD channels. I chalk it up to signal issues as well as it doesn't happen on every recording, just occassionally, but when it does happen it tends to happen more than once in a recording.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #4 of 183
    susanandmark

susanandmark New Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Oklahoma, USA
    We've experienced the same problem since day one with our HD DirecTiVo. From what I've read here, the brief "black outs" and sound pops are unique (and rather ubiquitous) to the system. I'm not saying everyone has them, but I've seen multiple reports of these issues here. Like you, we only have these problems on HD recordings, from sat or OTA. I think the general consensus has been to chalk it up to early days in the HD DVR field. If anyone knows something different, please correct me.

5. Jan 22, 2006 #5 of 183
    Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Same problem here since the very beginning with the Hr10-250. Occurs mostly on HD, both OTA and Satellite. Worst channels are ESPN HD, ABC and NBC. Live sporting events are also glitchy. I don't know what else it could be besides the broadcast since it appears on both OTA and Satellite at the same time. I just don't understand why some of us have the problem with the HR10-250 and others don't. If it was exclusively a broadcast problem, seems like we should all be having it.

6. Jan 22, 2006 #6 of 183
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I've been seeing this on SD channels - blackouts, freezes, etc. On the other hand, the disk I "upgraded" to isn't inspiring a lot of confidence in me so I'm in the process of replacing it with another and we'll see how that goes.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #7 of 183
    TimmyVan

TimmyVan New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm sorry others are having the same problem I'm having, but relieved too.

As I spoke with Customer Care at DirecTV, they told me "it's not at our end" with the glitches in video on the DVR. But, I can't imagine it being anything else? And from reading from your posts - it's not on our end, but from DirecTV's.

I've gone as far as I can go with trying to improve the problem, from moving the dish for a stronger signal, to changing the cable runs from the dish, to the house - along with upgrading the ground wire to eliminate "static build up" in the lines. I even installed a second dish, to eliminate the multiswitch, because I was told the "power problem" could stem from there.

As you can see, there's been a serval opinions as to the problem - and I've tried several solutions. Granted, it's not a major flaw, but since I have to pay extra for HDTV through DirecTV, I should be getting what I'm paying for.

Hopefully, in the future, the problem will resolve itself through upgraded DirecTV service for HD subscribers. It would be comforting if DirecTV would simply say that this problem exsisits to some customers, and a resolve is being worked on.

Again, thanks to you all for the replies - and if you find a resolve - or know something about upgrading the service so the problem will end, I'd appreciate the info!

8. Jan 23, 2006 #8 of 183
    chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I am trying to understand exactly what you mean by this statement.

Do you mean:
    1) It occurs on OTA channels sometimes and also occurs on Satellite channels sometimes.
    or
    2) When it occurs, it happens on an OTA channel at the exact same instant I see it on a Satellite channel.

Also, is it the same broadcast that you get both via the Sat and OTA, perhaps if you live in NY or LA? Or are we talking about two different programs here?

Thanks,
    Chris

9. Jan 23, 2006 #9 of 183
    Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chris:

What I meant is that very often when there is a video stutter or glitch or whatever you want to call it, it occurs at exactly the same moment on the OTA and Satellite broadcast of the Same show. For example, if I am watching a football game on OTA 7-1 (ABC) and also on ABC WEST Coast high def feed (87) on the two separate tuners, I see the exact same stutter at the same time. This does NOT occur if I am watching two different shows on the two tuners. If I am watching the football game on one tuner and the other tuner is recording a different show, it does NOT stutter at the same moment. This is what would lead one to believe the problem is in the broadcast rather than on my end . . .

10. Jan 23, 2006 #10 of 183
    stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    I can tell you the cause is not watching the same show on both tuners, one via OTA and one via Sat as my problem has occured while recording 2 different shows, 98% of which get recorded from sat.

What we need to do is pick a few programs and mark down at what points during the show there are either pixelations and/or blackouts. I have noticed most of the time, there will be a pixelation of some sort followed a few seconds later by a blackout, not all of the time, but more this past weekend than before.

Then, we compare notes to determine that this is indeed dtv's fault and not ours. Still won't do us anygood getting through the boneheads there, already tried that and failed, but atleast we would know for our sanity.

11. Jan 23, 2006 #11 of 183
    khark

khark Old Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Star Valley...
    Last night while watching Crossing Jordan in HD my picture and sound went blank several times. It would come back for a while and then blank out again.

I finally switched to one of my SD Tivos to watch the end of the show. This is quite common on both of my HD Tivos.

12. Jan 23, 2006 #12 of 183
    chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for clarifying that. I agree, it is in the original broadcast (maybe your LA affiliate lost lock from the network?) and you get it in both OTA and Sat HD feed.

13. Jan 23, 2006 #13 of 183
    Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Stivovance:

I did not mean that the problem was caused by watching the same show on OTA and Satellite at the same time. I only meant that the stuttering often occurs on both OTA and Satellite at the same time when watching the same show. I agree with you that the stuttering occurs all over the place. I wish we could coordinate somehow and check various shows. In watching Desperate Housewifes and West Wing tonight via HD OTA, both shows had video stuttering at the very beginning. West Wing also had a stutter about 2/3 of the way through the show. For me, ABC, NBC and ESPN HD are consistently the worst at video stuttering. CBS, Fox and HBO are much better. Unfortunately, I suspect this varies based on East Coast vs. West Coast Feed and also based on individual feeds depending on what city or area you are in. I suspect that everyone having the problem does not have the same good and bad channels as I do. Maybe everyone in my neighborhood does. That would really be helpful, if we could somehow determine that the problem is related to the specific neighborhood or area one lives in. I suspect that this might be the case.

14. Jan 24, 2006 #14 of 183
    stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Ragsy,

Understood, just wanted to make it clear that the cause wasn't that particular configuration.

I watch the East Coast HD channels and too have major problems w/ NBC and ABC. CBS I only watch NCIS so I can't comment on any other programs. I'm in Chicago so I watch the East Coast HD networks, the only Chicago HD OTA I watch is WGN (Supernatural) and UPN (Veronica Mars) to date, I haven't noticed a single problem w/ either of these. HBO and Showtime, I don't think I've seen a problem yet either.

I'm guessing the problems are only going to get worse. Once the weather gets a little warmer, I'm going to move my OTA antenna to get a better signal for NBC, ABC and FOX Chicago Locals.

I'd be happy to start a spreadsheet of programs anyone is having problems with. I'd need Program
    Channel
    City you live in
    City where station is located
    Air Date
    time listing of problem, pixelation and/or black outs.

If we get enough people complaining, maybe, just maybe directv will listen. Just pm me your details and I'll get this thing started. So far, I don't think I've watched a single program since Fri 1/20 on NBC and ABC that hasn't had a problem.

15. Jan 24, 2006 #15 of 183
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If by "blanks out", you mean that the picture goes black for about a second, I've noticed that too on HD channels.

16. Jan 26, 2006 #16 of 183
    NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    I've noticed this happening in the past couple weeks. Audio continues but the picture goes black for about a second. My signal strength on both satellites is in the mid 90's, so it's not a low signal issue.

Are there solar flares or something going on that is doing this? If it's happening to so many of us, then I don't think it's on our end.

17. Jan 26, 2006 #17 of 183
    edrock200

edrock200 New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Northern...
    count me in for 1 second video blackouts with continued audio.

18. Jan 26, 2006 #18 of 183
    michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    ...ditto for me. Only on the NBC New York HD feed.

19. Jan 26, 2006 #19 of 183
    nazz

nazz New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm seeing the same problem on mine.

20. Jan 26, 2006 #20 of 183
    edrock200

edrock200 New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Northern...
    yep that same channel for me too. a few mins ago I was watching four kings and a little over half way through in one of the glitches my tivo rebooted.