Picker Sisters on Lifetime

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1 of 13
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    When I saw this in my guide, my first thought was 'not another picking show'.

I am a big fan of American Pickers, Auction Hunters and Pawn Stars, and not a fan of their copy-cats.

But, I am digging the Picker Sisters.

Their twist is that they aren't just looking for stuff to resale, they are looking for things to re-purpose. They will buy things with an idea of what they want to do with them, like turn into lamps, make into table and chairs, etc.

Plus it doesn't hurt that they are easy on the eye. :cool:

2. Sep 7, 2011 #2 of 13
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    We've been watching this, and though the idea is cool, the "sisters" are a little annoying. Whenever they come on my wife or I will yell out "Ohmygod!" in a valley girl voice because they do it quite often.

And it really annoys my wife that most of the time when they're crawling around in a barn or junk pile they're wearing cute little outfits and shoes instead of clothes that are appropriate to the task.

3. Sep 7, 2011 #3 of 13
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I loved the Pool chairs the other night. The guy they have creating the stuff is real good.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #4 of 13
    RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Well, they wouldn't get the great deals they get from all those grizzled junk owners if they didn't.:)

Bob

5. Sep 7, 2011 #5 of 13
    scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    True enough!

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6 of 13
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I haven't scene this show yet. I will have to setup a SP for it!

7. Sep 7, 2011 #7 of 13
    Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Based on the three or so episodes I've seen: It's terrible. The picker guys have a long relationship and have been in business for years and that comes across on screen. They have great report and deep knowledge of their field. This picker sister garbage is among the most stilted, scripted, cobbled together for television shows in the genre. It's American-Restoration-bad, only without the talent and quality merchandise at the end. A couple of spokesmodel pretenders walking around barnyards in fur and boots. They overpay for crap, then turn that into other crap that (surely) nobody could actually want to buy. Or maybe they're geniuses beyond my limited capacity to comprehend.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #8 of 13
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I watched an episode and the sisters annoyed the crap out of me. I agree that their outfits are inappropriate, and the way they flirt with all the sellers just rubs me the wrong way. ("I love it when a man says 'patina'." :rolleyes: )

9. Sep 8, 2011 #9 of 13
    scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    They may overpay for crap, but they sell the results for much more than what they paid. And they've shown people buying the stuff in their store more than once (and it's usually the expensive stuff).

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'm enjoying the show and the girls are easy on the eyes. They obviously have design talent and I've really been impressed with some of their creations.

11. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Do you folks not recognize them both as popular interior designers from ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"? (And, obviously, they're not actually sisters. Just "sisters in spirit," I guess.)

Bob

12. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    No, because I never watched that show.

Yes, I knew they weren't really sisters.

:)

13. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Different topic - a couple of questions about their creations.

1) Don't they have to worry about sharp metal edges cutting a customer after they buy a piece? Some of those pieces definitely have some edges to them.

2) When they leave something rusty, how do they treat and/or seal the metal so the rust doesn't continue to flake off?