Pick me out a Tivo (3 or HD)!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by EVizzle, Aug 17, 2007.

1. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Comcast, St. Paul, MN
    Currently have a series 2 w/lifetime and want HD

My 40 hour frequently fills up but I don't keep things long term, just until I watch them. I use TTG to transfer some stuff, but not for much longer, as my main reason was to watch Law and Order in order, but I have all episodes now so I will slowly be deleting as I watch.

Very few movies will be kept (I have a Blu Ray player and Netflix), but probably some Discovery HD stuff for multiple viewing, and for the most part for television shows. Nothing will be recorded in SD, as I will still have my series 2 connected for that.

Sound quality is very important (not sure if there is a "real" difference, but if someone has noticed it let me know), picture quality is very very important. Both tivos will be connected to a 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

That being said... should I get the series 3 or the HD? Thanks for the insight!!!

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    There is little reason to get an S3 instead of the HD - if you need more storage you can put in a larger drive, or wait until later this year when TiVo is supposed to enable eSATA.

3. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    What potential advantages (excluding price) does the HD have versus the Series 3?

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    You can use a single M-Card CableCARD today instead of two S-Cards. The S3 doesn't support M-Card, yet. Other than that - who knows.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Check out this thread for more details about TiVo HD's.

Check out this post for spec comparisons.

6. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks for the spec links... the biggest need for me was responsiveness, so i got the S3. Loving every HD moment so far!!!