Phoning home and Earthlink Home Phone

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by GeorgeVW, Mar 2, 2007.

1. GeorgeVW

GeorgeVW New Member

Nov 26, 2003

Advertisements

I switched over to the Earthlink High Speed Plus Home Phone service last October, and my D-TiVo Hughes SD-DVR40 hasn't been able to phone home since. The number of messages about "Haven't made a call in x days" has clogged up the incoming messages to the point that the system hangs if I try to even look at the messages.

The Earthlink Home Phone isn't strictly VOIP. It uses the regular analog instruments and existing phone wiring, but gets switched to digital at the phone company CO. Has anybody had any luck getting it to work with D-TiVo receivers? Is there a way (short of hacking the unit) to clear out the old messages?

Thanks in advance,

George

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Try a search for VOIP or Vonage or any number of other like services for a multitude of possible solutions.

To clear out the old messages, you have to do a Clear and Delete Everything or just ignore them and never go to that menu.

3. GeorgeVW

GeorgeVW New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    While I realize that it's quite common to assume that someone has not already searched the forums and tried any potential offered solutions, so that urging them to do so is considered the "thing to do", that isn't so in this particular case. I've already tried all the suggestions for VOIP and Vonage and, unfortunately, none of them work for the Earthlink Home Phone setup.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I probably wouldn't have made that suggestion if you had said that you tried all you've discovered here. :)

5. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

Advertisements

Don't worry about the phone line and stay out of the messages section.

6. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    There are several dial codes that can slow the modem down and/or switch it to the serial port instead. If you switch to a serial port, it'll run ppp to whatever you connect to it. It's a pain, but less hassle than modems over VoIP. (If it's a series 1 device, put a tivonet/turbonet adapter in it. Dial code ",#401"; there's nothing else to configure. The *holes at DTV won't enable ethernet (usb) on the S2 hardware.)