Phone "negotiating"

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by silverstreak, Nov 1, 2007.

1. silverstreak

silverstreak New Member

Dec 9, 2004

Advertisements

Not getting answers on the standard TIVO site. Thought the experts here could help. Thank you.

I recently purchased a used Hughes SD DVR40 on eBay. I have been able to activate and get programming, but I cannot connect via the phone. The unit has 3.1 software.
    I am even unable to connect to get a local access number, the first step in the phone-in process.
    At first, it was a "failed to connect." Now, I can connect, but I get stuck on "negotiating." When I pick up the land line, I can hear the screaching, so the unit has connected.
    Any suggestions/solutions. I know some people prefer 3.1, but I feel like I am missing out by not being able to upgrade software.
    Thank you very much.

2. incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    The title sounds like you're trying to negotiate a cheaper price. You might want to try "modem problems" as a subject on the other section. :D Could be bad TiVo modem, other phones on your line causing problems, line noise, and try a different dialup number.

3. Garas

Garas New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Did you try connecting to other local access number? Do you have a DSL? Tivo modems doesn't work mostly when you have a DSL. Try to put a DSL Filter and should work. If you got a call waiting you need to change the tivo setting by going to Call waiting Prefix on Phone Setting then enter *70, this will disable temporary your phone call waiting when your tivo dialing up.
    Goodluck

GaRaS

4. silverstreak

silverstreak New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    No, I don;t have DSL. I have other TIVOs that dial in just fine. The last time, I made it to housekeeping, but then it tried to call again, it said failed to connect. Very frustrating.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

It sounds like your Tivo has been hacked with the fakecall hack or other similar script. This is the exact symptom you will get if you attempt to force a daily call with one of these hacks installed. The hack is installed to prevent the Tivo from taking an unwanted software update since a phone call is required to initiate the software installation. In order to disable the fakecall hack you'll need to pull the drive and access the files directly in your PC by booting with one of the Linux boot CDs. You'll need to disable the call for the fakecall script in the rc.sysinit.author file and also the scheduled task if cron has been installed. The easiest way to disable it is to locate the file and rename it. If the Tivo can't find the file by its exact name it will simply ignore it and it won't be executed. You chould then be able to connect through your phone line but you'll also end up taking any current software updates.