Phone Line

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomswift, Jan 5, 2006.

1. tomswift

tomswift tomswift

Jan 4, 2006
    I have just signed on to this form and have searched the topics on the usage of the phone line. The information I found was a little dated so I am more that likely asking a question that has been touched on a number of times. I am hoping to find new information.

The DVR 120 that I have requires an analog land based line to operator. After a discussion with the DirecTV Tech rep he suggested this form to find an alternate to the Land Based line. Of course the Cell phone would be the best but it does not appear to be an alternative at this point.

When asked about a direct connect to the Internet via USB port the response I received was that the USB port could be used but DirecTV did not support this function.

Oh course when I asked what a person was to do in the middle of the boondocks and no land-based line was available the answer was "we do not sell to them". This I find hard to accept because most companies would find ways to sell to as many segments of the population as could afford a buck.

Is there an alternative?

Thanks for your help.

tomswift1

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Wrong forum. But to answer your question. On DriecTV, it check once when it is first set up and them will ***** about it from then on but nothing will stop working. DTivo's get all their data from the satellite.

3. willbhome

willbhome And happy to be

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Let me get this straight, IJLT: If I understand you correctly, we need a land line ONLY for the initial call from the DirectTivo unit to Tivo. Thereafter, all scheduling updates are acheived directly via satellite.
    What's the "daily call" do, then?
    BTW, what I'm attempting to do is to avoid a land line altogether. I just moved to an area which land line phone service is provided by Sprint, and I've already learned to not like this one bit. I'm looking for a way that I can manage my three Tivos without a landline, but not miss any of my favorite shows, etc.

4. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, you are correct, the landline is only for the initial setup, then you never need one again. Not to say it doesn't have a purpose. You won't be able to order pay per view from your remote and you can't have NFL Sunday ticket or packages like that.

But the DirecTV Tivo gets its data from the satellite, not the phone...

5. willbhome

willbhome And happy to be

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you, Satchel. Now, if only I didn't need the land line for setup. . .

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can do setup over serial PPP.

7. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Actually, NFLST is non-phoneline-dependent. We've had it for years with no phone connection. :)