Phone Line Not Available

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by allyn77, Aug 26, 2011.

1. allyn77

allyn77 New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    I will run out of program information in a few days. I have a dial-up connection, and when I try to connect I get a message that the phone line is not available. I've checked to make sure I have a dial tone. I have successfully run tests. And I've tried every available phone number. But I am still getting the message. I have used this unit and phone line without problems for several years. I have never encountered this problem before and nothing has changed in my set-up at home.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you unplug the phone line from the TiVo jack and plug it into a phone, can you then use that phone to make a call?

3. allyn77

allyn77 New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Yes, a phone will work.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Go inside the phone jack and reverse the two wires. I've seen this happen with fax machines where the outside phone line had been involved with some changes and the line got reversed.

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, all I can suggest then is to check the TiVo phone settings. Maybe something got changed somehow. I can't remember what they are. It's been years since I had a TiVo connected to a phone line.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, all I can suggest then is to check the TiVo phone settings. Maybe something got changed somehow. I can't remember what they are. It's been years since I had a TiVo connected to a phone line.

7. 8bitbarbarian

8bitbarbarian Member

Jul 4, 2004
    SF, Ca
    yea there are a couple of phone settings - one of them mentions that error so maybe toggle that setting and see what happens. "Check if line available" is what I think that setting is. I notice my series 1 has more and more issues dialing up. One time it had gone days failing to connect and I would manually dial it up and it looked like it was dialing but never actually connecting then I called the dial up # to make sure it was really a data connection, got the data tones redialed tivo and it worked.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Series 1 TiVos are notorious for having the modem die.

(Sorry about the I double post above. No idea how that happened)