PHone line issue (sorry I know another one)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ddingle, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ddingle

ddingle New Member

Nov 17, 2003

Advertisements

I am working on a system that has 2hdtivos along with 3 additional R10 tivos. All are connected to a phone line through a Panasonic phone system. All units dial 9 before dialing out. All of them are fine except for one HDtivo that completes the phone line test properly, downloads the phone numbers etc. When it attempts to download the daily call it hangs on the line for 20 minutes or more. Then shows a failed call. The guide seems to working but when you first turn it on it indicates that it has not made a successful call in100 days or something. All the units are hooked up to the same extension in parallel. As mentioned all other units are working fine. I am now trying the download on a different extension,but again it held the line for 1/2 hour and then showed "failed while preparing data". Any suggestions or is the modem hatched.

2. ddingle

ddingle New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    I notice that the sofware is "e" on the unit and question and "f" on the other HDtivo. I just unplugged it and will let it sit for a hour of so then try again.

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Unless you specifically need to activate or download an upgrade, you don't need to make a call at all. Just unplug the phone line and your problem goes away. Ignore the nag screens. If you need PPV, just order it on one that IS making the call.

The guide data is downloaded from the satellite, so that is why you have data even though a call is not completed.

4. chashulme

chashulme New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Laguna...
    Jeez, that's not much of a solution... What if the software update is desired? I have the same issue after having gotten a replacement HR10-250 unit from DIRECTV. Both units were previously rev.f and the replacement is rev.e.

Anyway, I thought the updates came down on the sat link?

5. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001

Advertisements

Sorry it doesn't suit you! It wasn't particularly aimed at you anyway. No need to be offensive.

Read my post - I believe I said "Unless an upgrade is required".

If you have one phone connection that you know works, why not just swap the units around to get the upgrade?

You thought wrong.

6. ddingle

ddingle New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    It seems this unit will not download properly from the phone line. As mentioned it tests fine,but when attempting the download it takes 20 minutes or more and then indicates one failure or another. There is only one phone number to use in the area and it seems to work fine on the other hdtivo and standard tivos.
    Could it be that the upgrade from "e" to "f" is lengthy and the phone line is timing out some how?? Thanks

7. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    North Carolina
    My HD box is a week old. This past weekend phone calls started failing. Yesterday I went through troubleshooting with level 2 tech support. They said it was trying to download version f, currently e is in there. It would go into download mode, stay there about an hour, then fail. Tech support tried all kinds of things but none of them worked. They are sending me a new box. Other than that, the TIVO unit works just fine.

8. bradleyx

bradleyx New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Anselmo, CA
    I'm having the same problem. We just got a replacement box (my 4th in about 18 months, but first in more than a year) and the phone calls are failing on a daily basis. The test calls work fine, but the nightly updates are failing after about an hour. I've tried changing phone numbers to no avail.

Looks like I could be going to replacement #5!