phone line for directivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by m to the z, Jan 18, 2006.

1. m to the z

m to the z New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I know this has been talked about before.. but do i need a telephone line o go with my directivo that is already hooked up? only reasdon i have a land based phone line is for my tivo.. and does that go for the HDtivo as well..which im currently thinking about getting?

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    It has been. A lot!!

Only to activate software upgrades and order PPV via the remote.

Yes.

-Robert

3. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    Only time you need a phone line is on initial hookup as far as I know. The new Direct tv dvr does not need a phone line for initial hookup.

4. joetoronto

joetoronto HR10-250 Lover

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    and you can order ppv's online as opposed to the remote.

5. Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    I don't know if it's different for the HD tivo, but I ordered Madagascar via the PPV HD channel without a phone connection. It hasn't been connected for three months.

6. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    And you can order a few more PPV's via the remote until you reach a certain $$ limit on the access card. As soon as you connect it to a phone line, those PPV's will show up. In fact, I have a few on my GXCEBOT now but it hasn't called in 1,018 days.

-Robert

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    If you know it's been talked about before, why ask again? You should know the answer.

8. notanotheracct

notanotheracct New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    because it's rarely answered in detail, infact i just asked this same question on another forum... there should be a huge in-depth sticky on this subject :p

i've been told previously that it nags about no phone line BTW. but how often, how many times a day/week? triggered by doing something? argh!

9. Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    It nags once, then weekly, then daily. Some people have reported lockups if there are too many messages kept in the 'inbox.'

It is triggered by going into DirecTV Central.