phone connection problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nlrushing, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1 of 11
    nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi, i have had a problem for about a week now and am getting frantic. i have an sd-h400 and am connected via phone line. i do have broadband but do not have a home network set up and my pc is not close to my tv. so connecting broadband is not an option without my figuring that out and spending money on several items that i am not prepared to do at this time. the last time my tivo was able to connect was 8/31 tho i have made no change in my home. i have followed all troubleshooting - tried several alternate phone numbers, tested the line, the phone cable, reset the system, etc, etc. the only thing i can possibly think of is that i followed the link in my tivo newsletter last week and signed up for the fall guru guide. i realized friday night that my service hadnt connected all week, but do not know if or why this would cause this. it is just the only thing i can think of, and i dont know how to 'undo' that anyway. ps- i have been connected for 2-3 years so this is truly a new probelm. the only time prev this happened i just had to change the dial in number. any ideas? i hope someone can please help.

2. slayer4915

slayer4915 New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I wish I could help cuz I'm having the same problem! It's been fine for months, and all of a sudden, nothing. I noticed I got a message on 8/29 about a channel lineup change (a channel was added) and that was the last day the Tivo made its daily call. My program guide officially runs out tonight :-(

I find it odd that so many people seem to be having this same problem all of a sudden. What is up with Tivo?!

Help please!

3. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i have now tried app 20 different dial-in numbers, i get 3 messages usually "connection failed" or "cannot connect" but have now gotten "service not answering." i am so frustrated i do not know what to do. hopefully someone will figure this out soon. ANYBODY???

4. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I was having the same problems with my phone line connection. I however had a router and I just ran ethernet cable and I never had a problem connecting and downloading programing since.

I know what you said you don't have a network set up. All you need is a router a Linksys 2.4 cost about $50 and 50 foot of cat 5 ethernet cable is $10 at walmart. If running a wire through walls or whatever is to difficult you could just plug the ethernet cable into the router and back of your Tivo once a week or 2 weeks and force a connection in order to keep getting your programing. Tivo sells a wireless adapter for the Tivo box I have one of those in my up stairs because it would be a real headache putting cat 5 wire up through the walls. The wireless adapter costs around $70.

So for about $65 you could have a router and 50 feet of ethernet cable and at least you would be getting your programing.Or for $130 you can have your Tivo hook up wirelessly to a router. You won't need the 50 foot of ethernet cable in that case. The Tivo box automatically recognizes an internet connection. Once you get your Tivo connected to the internet you will never want to mess with a phone line connection.

There is nothing really to figure out, it is simple. Buy wireless G Linksys 2.4 broadband router and read and follow the installation instructions.

It sounds to me like you have already spent more then enough of your time and frustration like I know I did when my box wouldn't connect via phone line , to easily justify spending $65 or $150.

5. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    thank you for your reply, i did spend some time on the phone with tivo support and they told me 2 important things:
    1st: many dial in numbers have been disabled and if i am not getting connected i am not getting the latest list. therefore i would need to call them or use the website link to get a valid number, which i did and that did not solve the issue.
    2nd: and most important, as more and more people are switching to digital phone service thru their cable companies (as i did) we will hear more and more people with this problem. he said most people having this issue and calling in (at least in his experience) are telling him they have digital phone service now and it does not support data transmissions very well. he said most people will begin to have problems within the first few weeks or possibly months after they switch.
    i believe that is my problem and am off to buy ethernet cable today. i am not sure whether to go wireless or not, but will come home today with something to get connected. i believe this info deserves a new thread for discussion as digital phone service is becoming more popular.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You will also need a compatible network adapter for that DVR, even for ethernet.

If you really cannot run a permanent ethernet cable, save you money and not buy that and its adapter, but get a wireless adapter and router instead.

7. don _juannel

don _juannel New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    aug.25 both of my tivos stop downloading.I seem to be one of many with the same problem.The telephone co.did not switch to ditgial.I had them check out the whole line system including a new line to no avail.I spent 3 days with tivo and countless hours on the phone with still the same problems.Ispent a hour with phillips on the phone checking out my system which they found in excellent condition(waiting for the charges to my credit card)-I belive tivo did something at there end and us tivo owners should start complaing and calling for an investagation.What seems odd is I have 3 tivos and only the two with lifetime membership went out-Don

8. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i have spent $50 at radio shack buying what the support guy last night told me to buy, i have to return it because the support lady today told me that he was wrong, and she is correct because it didn't work. i live in a rural area with no retail outlet for what i really need. and now i have spent enough days troubleshooting and talking with support to have my service run out tomorrow. i can get the router but not the adapter. i too have lifetime support and wondered the exact same thing as you Don but didnt want to be negative in my first posts here. another thing she told me is that anyone who has digital phone service will eventually burn out the modem in their tivo unit and thankfully mine was still working properly. this is not something tivo seems to be alerting it's viewers to. connecting thru the internet is an option for me but not for many viewers. how could we get an idea of how many people are having this issue and also have lifetime service? would be interesting to follow that trail. tho i don't know where it would take us. any thoughts???
    regardless i feel it important for a warning to all on the issues with switching to digital phone service (and what that is) and needing to get connected thru a phone line. it will not support it for long, and puts your tivo modem at risk.

9. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Just one thought here. For those with broadband ever considered Vonage? It can be as low as $15 a month (which they don't advertise as much) for 500 minutes. Some folks have had issues with it but I haven't. I have used it with no problems with my R10 DTivo via modem.

Vonage also has a model with a wireless router built into their phone adaptor, so then you just need the Tivo wireless G adaptor for like $50 from the Tivo store or any major retailer like CC who will ship postage free.

As for long Cat5 cables, I got a 50' Cat6 for like $20 from Dell (coulda went somewhere else for less, I suppose, but got free 1 day shipping) to string out to my Laptop so I wouldn't have to always use WiFi due to some wireless cameras I have. No loss in speed according to the Speakeasy speed test. I'm tempted to try 100' and hook up an old PC in the bedroom.

10. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i have now ordered (from the tivo store) the tivo adapter and had planned to order the LynkSis wireless router - then i found out you need to make sure it supports the windows op system you are running. i am a bit behind so i bought the Belkin wireless router from a local retailer. should be in monday so i should up and wireless next week. the odd thing is my service had run out, i bet a tried 40 times over the last 2 weeks to get connected, no luck. placed the order, went to work, came home and my tivo had connected via phone that very day!!! i am still looking forward to getting the wireless network set up but i thought that very odd. thanks for all who replied, i have a couple of other things i hope i can get help with soon, i will start a new thread when get this step resolved.

11. weezypoo

weezypoo New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    After reading a million different web sites, I was so discouraged about my Tivo not dialing up with Vonage. I almost cancelled my Vonage Service. Then I tried EVERY option possoble and finally today I made my first daily call!!!! I bought one of those Radio Shack Filters everyone said to buy. I connected it to my wall jack and then to my Vonage cord. I simply punch in *99 in call waiting prefix. NOTHING ELSE WORKED!! NO ,*19# AND ALL THOSE OTHER STUPID CODES.

TADADDADAAAAAAHHH!!
    IT WORKS
    I now have Vonage and Tivo and no more hassling!!