Phillips DSR6000s Have Value?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Larus, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Larus

Larus TiVo Time Traveler

Nov 15, 2001
    St Louis,...
    I have three Phillips DSR6000 series one DirecTiVos that I really don't need anymore. I haven't surveyed eBay yet but I was wondering if these have much value and also whether the value is likely to increase or decrease after 3/1/06?
    Also, they all have access cards. If I sell them, is there any possible problem if I let the cards go with them?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't really know their current value. As much as you can get I suppose.

The access cards don't have a lot of value for you, so sell the units with them.
    But, the new buyer may still be required to purchase a new card.

3. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    DSR6000's aren't going to have a whole lot of value beyond that of the HD itself. Are they all stock HD's?

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Actually, they do still have value beyond the HD, particulary for people that hack them for various things such as HMO, extraction, etc. - in spite of the fact they work slower than the SII units... ;)

5. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Personally thinking, DSR6000s will have place, when people get tired of their R15!

I have one in the attic with a blown HD. A 4 year old dual drive A&B drive upgraded from a single A.

Now that I have a DSR6000 recovery CD (thanks ptvupgrade.com) I'm ready to resurrect that unit as well.

6. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    HMO doesn't work on S1 DTivos. The function isn't embedded in the software like it is on the S2 DTivos. Extraction and networking in general on a S1 Tivo requires an expensive Turbonet adapter as opposed to an inexpensive USB ethernet adapter for the S2 models.

For someone that's just looking for a good DVR without performing the hacks then a S1 DTivo is still a good choice, albeit with a few limitations (no folders, slower menus, etc.). They'll perform every bit as well as a S2 DTivo with regards to the Tivo functionality (season passes, etc.). Used DTivos in general don't seem to have a high resale value mainly due to the highly discounted prices that you can purchase a brand new DVR for. It's hard to convince someone that a used unit is worth more than a new one at a lower price.

7. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    As the line from Trading Places:

It's worth 50 Bucks....

Roughly that is all you are going to get for any SD DTivo
    And that is now kinda on the high side.

8. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Yes, but my understanding is that the S1 do NOT do "content scrambling", which on the other units must be "disabled" before all this will work.

Actually, as the supply of new Tivo's dwindles, the used units might actually start commanding a HIGHER price. :eek: :( Check out how much weaknees now wants for new pre-R10 units NOW... ;) :eek:
    http://www.weaknees.com/direct_tv_tivo_deals.php

9. Larus

Larus TiVo Time Traveler

Nov 15, 2001
    St Louis,...
    Two of my DSR6000s are stock and in perfect condition and the third unit has an 80 gig and a 120 gig drive, but one of the two drives has failed.

I suppose I will just leave them in their boxes on the shelf in the hopes that they might have some value as fewer DirecTiVos are out there in the marketplace in the future. If not, oh well, they served me well for several years.

10. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Nope. S1 DTivos must also have scrambling disabled. Only the series 1 standalone models do not scramble the video.

Check Hinsdale's How To. You can replace the bad drive with a new one. You may have to install a fresh image on your A drive if the bad drive is completely hosed which will result in the loss of any recordings but since you've already shelved the unit I'm guessing it's not a major concern anyway. The bottom line is that you can easily resurrect your dead DTivo.

11. whatever

whatever Tivo is Life.

Mar 13, 2004
    So. California
    There are plenty of remanufactured Series 2 DTivo's available from various sources (ebay, weaknees, etc.) From what I can tell, the going price right now is around 40-50 bucks. I imagine that as the supply of these dwindles, and the lease requirement starts, the prices will go up. Simple supply and demand.