Phillips DSR6000 just broke

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vette9898, Jan 23, 2006.

1. vette9898

vette9898 New Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

MY DSR6000 hard drive just failed suddenly. I would like to replace the drive but where can I find the OS to download?

Thanks

2. GusMan

GusMan Member

Nov 16, 2004
    If you refer to this thread, you will go to a very popular thread on how to hack your unit. While I know you did not mention that you wanted to hack the unit, it acts as a great point of reference on where to go to get certain items like the OS, etc.

In essence, you dont have to hack it, but at least it will guide you to the sources you need to at least replace the drive and get your Tivo back up and running.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Plus, you can make a backup copy of your O/S so that you don't have to search the internet for one.

4. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
  5. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD

Advertisements

See the hinsdale how-to link in my signature. Secondly, you can PM StanSimmons and he may be able to help you out with an image.

Or, you can buy an instant-cake CD from ptvupgrade (forum sponsor) for $20 and you won't need to go through any of that.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  7. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Check your PM box.

8. Oct 9, 2006 #8 of 11
    russwjohns

russwjohns D*Tivo User

Oct 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I'm trying to find a way to restore my DSR-6000 also and if I'm unable to get the "makeTivoBootable" (sp?) to get the boot sector back, I'm looking into finding a viable image.

My desk is stock and had been in use for the past 4 or 5 years. Has a single 40gb drive, which I somehow remember being a WD HD.

Any pointers to a source appreciated,

thanks
    ...russ

9. Oct 9, 2006 #9 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    WOW! You resurrected a really old thread. I congratulate you for doing a search to find it.
    Try a forum sponsor at the top of the page.

10. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    It is probably not jus the boot sector. makeTiVoBootable is used to fix a TiVo drive that has been attached to a PC and the PC boots Windows NT, 2000, or XP. Instantcake from ptvupgrade.com is a way to get an image.

11. russwjohns

russwjohns D*Tivo User

Oct 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Thanks. I was hoping to get pointed to a good image and use techniques detailed here and elsewhere to get it back up running. If I were to get cake I'd need another copy for my series 2 Sammy and I believe they only supply the cake for a specific unit. I guess in hindsight I should have used the Hinsdale techniques years ago to image the drive myself.

I've been searching any and all threads dealing with the Philips DSR-6000's. Was getting huge hit counts before I limited searches to terms in title only (otherwise anyone who lists there boxes in there sig gets found in the search).

...russ