Philips Series 1 stuck on Guided Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by missdona, Nov 7, 2007.

1. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

My parents Series 1 is stuck on guided setup, after you put the zip code in, it doesn't find any cable systems.

Tivo told my parents that their Philips Tivo has a lifetime warranty, but the number they gave for Philips is for out of warrnty support.

Could somebody shed some light on this?

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    There is no lifetime warranty on any TiVo. I think you are confusing this with lifetime TiVo service which is for the programming only, not the TiVo box.

3. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm not confusing it. I understand the concepts of lifetime service and lifetime warranty perfectly.

The Tivo tech told my dad that the Philips TiVo had a lifetime warranty and that he had to contact Philips for support.

4. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    The TiVo CSR gave your dad bad info. All of the Philips S1 boxes have been out of warranty for some time now.

Even worse, I believe that that a few years ago Philips began requiring a minimum charge (? $75) just to help you with an issue on an out of warranty TiVo even if they are ultimately unable to resolve your issue. Since it is unlikely that they have any refurbs or the ability to repair such an old box, I wouldn't even bother dealing with Philips...

5. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

Thanks sbourgeo.

Do you think the guided setup thing is a hard drive issue or something greater? If it's just a hard drive, my husband can do an Instant Cake upgrade of it.

I was thinking that Dad get back in touch with Tivo support and maybe work out a deal on a refurb to replace it (because of the bad info situation).

6. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    It could be a hard disk issue, but I know that I wouldn't count out user error if my father was running guided setup. ;)

I would try a bunch of different zip codes just to see if you can get any lineup to show up. If others work, it could just be an isolated lineup issue (which TiVo support could help with). If others don't work, it could be something like a phone/modem issue, bad hard disk, etc...

7. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    He tried a bunch of zip codes, nothing works.

8. ron2way

ron2way New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    how far is it geting in guided setup? Is the unit able to connect to Tivo service thru the phone line?

9. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Yes, it gets through a connection and it keeps saying there's no cable service for that zipcode.