Philips HDR112 Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lafos, Oct 10, 2006.

1. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I bought a used HDR112 and tried to start it. It presented the "Your PTV Receiver is starting up..." message and stayed there. Pulled the drive, breaking the warranty sticker (oh, dear). Drive was dead; won't even spin up when connected to an external PS. Bought Instant Cake, burned image onto a 60GB drive, and got the same message when powering up the TiVo.

I checked the image on my PC, and it seems okay, having 14 partitions, where the first four folders in the 1st partition are /c /d /e /tivo. I rechecked the jumpers, and drive is set to master. I can hear the drive spin up and down when I apply & remove the power.

I'm looking for suggestions. Any further ideas, or am I simply stuck?

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Try replacing the hard drive cable.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Try setting it to CS. Someone else here recently had a similar problem with a similar unit. He had the replacement drive's jumper set to master and just got the powering up message. He changed it to CS and all was well in Tivoville.

4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was surprised to see the CS set on the original drive. I saw the 40-conductor cable and assumed jumpers for master/slave. Changing it to CS did no good. Replacing the drive cable didn't help either. I tried both 40 and 80-conductor cables.

I even used Instant Cake to create an image on a different drive. No joy there, either.

According to the seller, the TiVo sat unused for years. It sure looks like it. The inside was free of dust, and no scratches on the case. Could the battery on the motherboard have died? If so, would its dead weight cause any logic problems? I considered removing it, but you have to pull the mobo to do that the way it's configured.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Apparently there's a bug in InstantCake. I did a little searching on the PTVugrade web site and found a thread on a different forum Which describes the problem and the workaround. This forum would not permit posting the link.

I am now looking at a working Philips TiVo waiting for me to go through guided setup.

Thanks again for the suggestions.